• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sudden loss of power overall, engine cuts out at idle

tommychains

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a first time poster and huge fan of CB750's. I have a '78 CB750F. This morning all of a sudden, my bike had a noticeable different sound (to my amateur sound perhaps not every cylinder is firing), and when riding it there was a significant loss of power. Stopping at a red light at idle would result in the engine cutting out. After leaving it sitting all day, it took a number of tries for the bike to start, and again there was a loss of power (when ramping up the throttle at idle however the sound transitions to normal (at a high rpm)). My points cover was damaged and the points have been exposed to moisture
(it was raining today). I'm a newbie at bike mechanics - could the moisture be the cause of the problem?

Yes wet points can and will make a miss. When they dry out you may get spark again but the moisture on the surface of the points will cause rust and corrosion and cause a constant miss or an intermittent miss. I would clean and adjust the points... and get a different point cover.

Back