• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

High idel , what's the right idle position ?

coolbreeze

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi guy .

So I'm relatively new to bike and the cb750 . I've tinkered with it a bit over the winter , not really to much thou..

82 Cb750f dohc is really all I know ..
It's got velocity stacks šŸ˜šŸ˜..

I removed the carbs and looked at the boots to the motor and they have minor cracks on the inside but only where the clamps hold them and they are not all the way though šŸ‘ .

I chAnged the oil , no idea how old the stuff in there was and by the looks there wasn't enough anyways .. Replaced it with ,Lucas high performance motocycle sae 10w-40 ,Jaso ma-2 .. Please don't tell me it's the wrong stuff I'm pretty sure it's the right stuff from what I've gotten on line and from my Haines manual ..

Last year when I rode it I noticed it had a bit of a high idle . No tac so no real clue but sounds high to me ..
If I had it in gear with my hand slightly off the clutch the the idle would lower to what sounds normal , pull the clutch in all the way and it would rev back up .. Wtf I backed the big black idle adjustment out all the way and It never seemed to help..

Fast forward to today and I read somewhere that it should be in all the way .. So what way is it ?...

On another note my starter clutch gears seem to slip ,noticed this a bit last year but upon starting my bike over the last few days it's gotten way worse ..

The starter it's self is fine fires up full of power but then I just hear rattling and what sounds like gears slipping , from what I've read these starter clutches are notorious for failing . I opened it up checked the 3 bolts they were all tight so I'm guessing a rebuild kit it needed ..

It's the only other thing I can think of other then ..maybe ... Just maybe .. It's the kind of oil... Could it be making things worse or are the springs just shot and it's time to rebuild it ?..

Thanks for ur input , please take it easy on me as I'm soaking behind the ears when it comes to this stuff !!

Back