• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

The dreaded clutch rattle.

Daren

Daren
Reaction score
I hope this nasty winter ends soon for all of you living through it.

So, I have one of the most horrendous clutch rattles I've heard yet.
In neutral at idle it sounds like the bottom end is chewing itself up.
Pull in the clutch lever and it's better. Carbs are synced as well as I can get them,
so I'm going to try the GL1000 double steel plate swap fix. I've pulled my clutch
already and the springs and plates measure up to spec. Have any of you good folks done
this mod with good results? I'm waiting for the part to arrive. I guess after I put everything
back together and nothing has changed it could be the primary chains, but I can't pull
the motor so I might have to live with it......unless anyone has any advice????

I still have that loud clunk when I shift into first and second,
I was hoping it was clutch related but my clutch seems fine
so I guess my tranny needs attention.

thanks,
daren.

May your nuts never rust.

If the clutch looks good with no obvious wear, broken parts etc. then you really have no choice but to get in the motor and look at the chains and tranny. Make sure your idle rpm is high enough...the lower it is the worse the primary and tranny noises will be. Also if you have a weak cylinder it will cause rough running which makes the primarys and tranny really rattle. Either way you really have no option but to split the cases. You can pull the pan and measure primary chain deflection and inspect the tensioner rubber but thats all you can do without pulling the motor.

Thank you gentlemen,
yes carb sync was done with vacuum gauges and I can get them pretty close, but not spot on.
No leaks in the boots and carbs were disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. When I opened the carbs
it was obvious the PO had recently rebuilt them, so no new parts were used.
The fact that things smooth out when the clutch lever is pulled in makes me lean towards the clutch as the culprit,
but I hope it's not the primaries as I can't pull this motor, I simply don't have the facilities to do that.
But I finally got my GL1000 double clutch plate and this is supposed to help a great deal.
They will be installed by this weekend and I will let the community know if it helps or not.

GL clutch plate_1.jpg

GL clutch plate_2.jpg

So folks here are my results so far.

The double plate does help a little, but not enough to justify doing the swap.
(at least in my case, others may have had better results).

BUT.....it also made finding first gear almost impossible for some reason.
So now rather than just a nasty clunk going into gear I also have grinding.
The plates and springs measure up to spec. and everything else in the
basket and actuator look fine. I guess the best I can do is get new friction
plates and springs and go back to stock.

Ever since I got this bike the clutch hasn't been perfect.
It's adjusted tight with no play at the lever and still in first gear if I pull in the clutch
I can feel it dragging. It never fully seems to disengage no matter how I adjust it.

Any gurus with advice to offer?
thanks,
daren.

my 1979 750 dohc makes a noise when the clutch is released so ill get pulling it apart. I think its the old familiar issue of either packing it with additional spacing material around the cush mechanism or making the entire mechanism solid by drilling in some additional bolts which i do not want to do. My three screws on the LHS were loose so this did make a difference OK. I suppose they would continue to rattle and work and in the old days i guess we were just happy to have them moving.......we perhaps like rattles like the young guys these days like loud exhausts.

My '75 rattled a bit - not overly loud, though. Shifted fine. I've had these motors torn down so frequently I could probably do one in my sleep. Getting the thing out of the frame is by far the hardest part.

Back