• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Polish or paint

rexnz

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Im looking for advice and opinions Im doing a full restoration on my 79 CB750K
About to start rebuild of engine
It has been painted and will need to be redone
Have seen some online where all of the engine has been polish
Can any one tell me how to maintain the look of the polished finish
And wich do you think is better

Maintaining a polished look is easier if you use the right compounds while polishing it the first time. The finer the compound you use last is the less maintenance you be needing later on. Then if you put some type of sealer/glaze on, it lasts even longer. Just make sure you use something that is heat resistant. I don't know what you can get where you live, but I use a local shop here in Sweden when buying my compounds. They might ship internationally, but you also might be able to find someone local to hook you up.

Just remember, bare metal is NEVER completely maintenance free. It will need to be redone at some point. But the work you put in the first time you polish pays of later.

About painting your motor. My only input here is to get your hands on something that really etches to the metal you're painting. And that's heat resistant and oil/gas resistant. Me personally, I like me a bare metal motor with a good shine on it! ;) As for color, I'd personally not go with pink. Or solid brown. That's about it.

Back