• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Are there differences between SOHC engines?

lkstk

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am replacing the engine in a 76 cb750F super sport, and there aren't any used ones that I can find. Does anyone know if the K motor fits the F frame? I have found plenty K motors, but I don't know what troubles I will encounter, or if it bolts right in. Any insight would be appreciated.

I don't think there's much of a difference you'll notice between the K and F for mounting purposes, but there are differences in sprocket offset with the '77-78. I think there's a 10mm difference at the engine and the rear sprocket cush drive is different also because of that sprocket offset. So I think you're fine with a K engine from a '76 and earlier.

Don't run with this, rather wait for someone with more experience to chime in... I just wanted to point out that the year can make minor differences as well.

Any sohc motor will bolt in. Offsets started with the 77. Stick with a 76 and older and you should be ok. The only difference between the K and F in these years in different exhaust and different jetting. Physically they are the same with minor internal differences. If you do run into chain alignment issues Cycle X offers different offset sprockets.

Hey guys,

New to forum, this is my first post.

There's a local listing near me for a '76 cb750f. It's got 45k miles on it and needs a little TLC. The only described issues the bike has is that the engine has a hairline crack in the lower case and the gas tank needs to be restored due to a couple pin sized holes.

I plan on doing a full engine rebuild because it's got high miles + that hairline crack. I have the funds to rebuild the thing properly, so why not?

Here's my question: Will a '76 cb750k engine case fit the '76 cb750f engine? I know I need both top and bottom cases as they are built for each other. I ask in the circumstance that parts like engine cases for the K may be more available than the F. I'd like this build to be show worthy so doing it right the first time is of upmost importance.

I'm a noob when it comes to vintage honda's so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Back