• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

About to put in new gaskets, hints, tips, and tricks from anyone? Also oil leak help?

Rusty_Gold

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a complete gasket set and last night I tore open my motor because I had what seemed to be an oil leak between the two middle cylinders. Ive done some research and I'm assuming the leak is being caused by the black rubber pucks, if anyone else has any other ideas feel free to inform me.

In a couple days I plan on going back and placing the gaskets, o-rings, etc and putting it all back together so I'm just wondering some tips or tricks about going about it such as using and gasket sealer, or copper spray, I've seen posts that say to use either or, or even neither so just wondering what anyone has to say on that.

I added pictures of the engine when i found the leak and currently taken apart, if you notice anything that should be addressed in the pictures let me know.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 214
The oil leak looks like the typical puck leak. Did they feel hard or look like they were out of place when you disassembled it? Do NOT use RTV of any kind, if you want you can use a little Hondabond or a little High Tac on the Valve cover. What brand of gaskets did you buy? Some are better then others, stock graphite Honda head gasket is the best on the market to ensure no oil leaks. The cheap aftermarket head gaskets that are not graphite will more than likely leak down the road. If it is a cheap hard not graphite gasket I would recommend a light spray of Copper coat, if it is graphite dont use anything. All orings go in dry no sealant, you can use a little Hondabond on the pucks. Be sure to use honda spec for torque and torque sequence for the head gasket. Are you going any further down in the motor or just the head?

Compared to the new ones the pucks did feel slightly harder, and when i disassembled the head one did come out with it so I'm not sure if it was loose or just stuck to it. The gasket set i bought was an Emgo set haven't opened those yet but they don't seem hard or cheap though ill keep that in mind about possibly getting the copper spray. as for going any further down i was going to but i figured if it aint broke don't fix it and just focus on this so its gonna be just the head for now

Take a picture of the head gasket you got, curious as to what type of gasket it is. The last emgo kit I saw didn't have a good head gasket. Who did you buy the emgo kit from?

I would definitely use copper coat on that head gasket. That is not the preferred graphite gasket...it will work but you may have oil seeps down the line. I have had issues with non graphite head gaskets.

Ok thanks I'll definitely pick some of that up, should I use it on the head gasket only or on the valve cover gasket also?

You can use it on the valve cover gasket also, these have a "wet" valve area. The valve cover gets pretty full of oil when the engine is running so there is a potential for a valve cover seep, copper coat or Hondabond or Hightac.

Back