• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Help

jack1

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I've been trying to start my K1 for the last week or so, and I can't get it going (No Spark). The last time she started was 1986. So far, I've done the following.
1. Had the carbs rebuilt,
2. Rewired for a new key
3. Cleaned the points,
4. Got a new battery, and installed it.

She will turn over, but I have no spark from cylinder 4.

Any ideas?

Jack

If it's only #4 that isn't firing I'd suggest that you check the spark plug, wire, or boot. Put the #4 wire on plug #1 and see if #1 still fires. Could be one side of the coil that's bad too I suppose.

Remember, #1 and #4 both fire from the same coil... #2 and #3 fire from the other coil. And the both plugs will fire every time, so it doesn't matter which wire goes to the opposite plug, as long as the wires reach.

Be sure the coils are connected to the correct pair of plugs... yellow wire to coil for one set, blue wire to the coil for the other set. Stock is blue for 1-4, yellow for 2-3... but I've had had a bike with the wires crossed, so that's a possibility as well.

All things considered, I'd expect the bike to at least start on 3 cylinders anyway, so there may be more to the problem than spark at #4.

I agree with tommycarl on the coil if the points and condenser are in good shape. These are old bikes and if that is a original coil sometimes the wires burn away at the plug socket. You may need to cut back the wire a bit inside the plug boot and re screw them back on. Do you get any spark from the coils? Maybe you have a wire bad in your on off switch. 20plus years of sitting and corrosion can do a lot to connections.

Back