• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1980 CB SS Project

marincorjdp

CB750 Member
Reaction score
New to the site, here's my project so far. It has been an awesome project so far and I cant wait to work on it every chance I get....

20130705_212528.jpg20130714_201919.jpg20131209_204011.jpg$T2eC16Z,!)sE9swm,1iBBQd0,8Yu1g~~60_1.jpg20141125_222002.jpg20141209_194010.jpg20141209_193632.jpg20141127_175809.jpg20141218_160048.jpg

A little more progress. Made electronics tray out of an old sign, cut stock fender and made my own brackets, clip-ons (that will probably go under top triple clamp eventually), made brackets for gauges and installed them and put on brakes. Almost time to take it all apart again to have tank painted and frame powdered. Still have to figure out what I'm going to do with foot controls (use stock or make some brackets and grind some more), rear fender or not, brake light, and seat.
20141230_115207.jpg20150103_144646.jpg20150102_215941.jpg20150103_134820.jpg

A little more progress. Made electronics tray out of an old sign, cut stock fender and made my own brackets, clip-ons (that will probably go under top triple clamp eventually), made brackets for gauges and installed them and put on brakes. Almost time to take it all apart again to have tank painted and frame powdered. Still have to figure out what I'm going to do with foot controls (use stock or make some brackets and grind some more), rear fender or not, brake light, and seat.
View attachment 4647View attachment 4648View attachment 4649View attachment 4650

What a great job.

hi again. did you modify the cbr 600 front fender? i just bought a rear wheel and sprocket and rotor. from a 600 cbr. like you did. looking for a front wheel and forks. wish i could find a doner like you did.

I tried to modify the CBR fender for a few minutes and realized it was a lost cause so I took the original CB fender, cut it off and made some brackets from brackets off the donor bike. I used a hole that was already in the fender and drilled one to match on the other side for the brackets to attach to. I just spray painted it for now but will have it painted when I have the tank painted or powder coated later.

very nice. road mine today. first time with a tag. lol i really like what you did with the electronics. did you change things out. your help is really appreciated :) cant wait til the wheels show up so i can get to modifying and lining it all up. did you use the cbr rear axle or the cb750 axle?

you will have to use the cb axle to make it work right but that means you will need to get new bearings. Cant remember the exact #s but you will need to measure the cb axle for the inside diameter and cbr hub for the outside diameter. You will also need to make a through hub sleeve (I used a piece of an old handle bar that was perfect diameter) You just have to cut it the correct length so when you tighten everything up it wont bind the bearings. You can order the bearings from all balls racing by dimension (I got mine for free from a buddy that works at a plant that had what I needed) You will also need another spacer somewhere in the neighborhood of an inch and a half as a starting point. I used pvc pipe to mock up the spacing I needed and then machined down the spacers to that size. It is a little tricky to get sprocket lined up so start on that side (I used a laser to line them up) then you will need a spacer between the wheel and brake mount (which you will have to drill out to fit the cb axle) and the other spacer between the swing arm and that brake mount. It is a lot easier than it sounds, it just takes time. I will probably change electronics out later but it runs great with the stock ones so I will wait until I get it all done first. I will probably use the cbr coils and get a new rectifier/regulator at the minimum. I am going to use the stock wiring harness and cut off what I don't need.

I currently have a 1971 Honda CB750 and would like to make some mods to it like you have done. For instance I would like to use the Wheels, sprocket, brakes and front forks off a 1990 CBR 600 like you have. Is this a relatively easy task for my bike besides making spacers and lining up the sprocket? Would the forks, brakes & wheels bolt right up? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

I currently have a 1971 Honda CB750 and would like to make some mods to it like you have done. For instance I would like to use the Wheels, sprocket, brakes and front forks off a 1990 CBR 600 like you have. Is this a relatively easy task for my bike besides making spacers and lining up the sprocket? Would the forks, brakes & wheels bolt right up? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

i just got all those things you mentioned. should be pretty straight forward:)

Back