• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Painting/Refinishing 101

Bohnzye

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok all Bretheran Enthusiasts, One and all are welcome here and I want to get some feedback from do it yourselfers to the professed professional body/paint mechanic out there. I'm trying to establish a sub category if you will that encompasses the painting refinishing of your bikes. Do you do it yourself? If you do then thats what we are looing for. We want to share your knowledge of how to repair a crack in a fiberglass fairing, clearcoat jug heads, repaint a gas tank, pinstripe a bike... I dont want to bore you to death with the details but want to give you enough criteria to prompt you to post. If you have experience with body fillers, wet sanding. clearcoating please share your experiences with us and your photos when available. We/you are what drives this obsession and I personally am blown away with the bikes I've seen in here thus far. Please help this get off the ground by contributing your submissions even if you dont think there is a need for this all replies are welcome... Thanks Ladds/Lass's

Ok all Bretheran Enthusiasts, One and all are welcome here and I want to get some feedback from do it yourselfers to the professed professional body/paint mechanic out there. I'm trying to establish a sub category if you will that encompasses the painting refinishing of your bikes. Do you do it yourself? If you do then thats what we are looing for. We want to share your knowledge of how to repair a crack in a fiberglass fairing, clearcoat jug heads, repaint a gas tank, pinstripe a bike... I dont want to bore you to death with the details but want to give you enough criteria to prompt you to post. If you have experience with body fillers, wet sanding. clearcoating please share your experiences with us and your photos when available. We/you are what drives this obsession and I personally am blown away with the bikes I've seen in here thus far. Please help this get off the ground by contributing your submissions even if you dont think there is a need for this all replies are welcome... Thanks Ladds/Lass's

Great topic, lets hope we can get some responses.. It's amazing how mechanins, electricians are more than willing to post their free knowledge on the web all day long yet the paint/body secrets remain under wraps :cool: Great idea!

laffs.. every bike that i have ever built i always rattle canned it and told myself that someday i would tear it back down for a good paint job.... but someday never comes.

Thanks Jbird will do... Great points Bobber/Travlyr. I merely want to propagate some interests in the finer points of restoration.. Thankyou.

Ask away... 30 years of sucking carcinogens and isocynates, not all secrets exposed but enough to get a layman started. :yikes:

Hey Jbird, I just repainted my saddlebags,sidecovers and luggagebox useing spraypaint. When is it safe to apply clearcoat, how long does each coat have to dry in between and what grit sandpaper should I use in between coats? Thankyou...

Last edited:
@ Bohnzye. since you used rattle can, and hoping it was a name brand, I would try to find a 3M grey scuff pad and cut it to about 2"x 3" and use it wet, like a sponge, lightly scuff the surface so it is an even dull finish, try not to cut through the edges. wipe it dry, then before you bomb it with clear, wipe it with windex to clean it. Many of your rattle can paints will wash off if you use a solvent based wax and grease remover. If you have a tack cloth then lightly wipe that over the surface to remove any loose dust particals. if you have canned air for blowing off computers that helps to get the dust off as well. Get a good clear coat. Epoxy or Polyurethane, they won't have hardners so they have to air dry, 3or 4 good coats with a flash time where the product is tacky. The cleaner the area your going to spray in the better the job.If you have to polish the clear wait a couple of weeks, 2000 grit wet, and a very fine compound or micro finish from 3M or Miguires. Good Luck

Danggg, Thats what I call info 911...Thankyou Jbird, I have a new problem since posting... I used duplicolor brand spraypaint, applied clearcoat yesterday morning at a temperature of 92 degrees and already have orange peeling? My buddy had this bike out of state and started the painting himself so I was kind of forced to follow suit with what he had started...

Don't worry about it, scuff it up with the grey scotch bright pad, put 3 good even coats on and walk away. Let it dry good and repeat the steps, 3 more coats, slow and flow, let it tack up in between coats. Watch how it lays down on the parts and try to keep the passes the same, you get uneven spray patterns when you move at different speeds, and too close or too far away, that's what causes a lot of the "orange peel" finish. But you can knock that down with some 1000 grit wet paper, try a small area with the paper wrapped around a piece of the scuff pad so you don't leave finger grooves in the clear. Always wet sand, and dry it off and look at the finish, it should be satin smooth. If you think you might cut through the clear use a finer grit paper, 1500 is good. I've cut whole cars down with 1500 and buff um' up like glass.

Hey Jbird, The bags, sidecovers and luggage box are lookin sweet. I did just as you instructed with the scuff pads and 1000/1500 wet paper.....If the sheen doesen't turn some heads the Chrysler Orange engine enamel my buddy started painting it with certainly will.Some peoples kids...lol pictures forthcoming.... Great advice Buddy....

Update, Fairing and gas tank received initial preparation towards painting...More questions looming for yah Jman......... Hooah! pics in gallery.......

Hey Bud, It looks alot worse then iti is. There was a ton of knicks and dents thruout the fairing but no real cracks. I used 3m fiber reinforced body filler. Just be glad you dont liver closer to me as I would have a tent pitched outside your shop. ) let me know how bad I screwed up. Thanks.

When you get tired of looking at the paint job it can always be changed, my brother lives in Loveland, OH and I run up there a couple times a year. $800-$1200 will get a decent job and that's still cheap!

Last edited:
When you get tired of looking at the paint job it can always be changed, my brother lives in Loveland, OH and I run up there a couple times a year. $1200-$1800 will get a decent job and that's still cheap!
Well, I kind of have priorities right now which is to get a house and vacate the apartment community... I really appreciate all the tips and tricks... I wish this extended thread would have taken off but you dont know unless you try. Thanks a bunch..Cheers..

Hi, I am going to be repainting my 78 CB750A soon , can anyone tell me where i can get a original Pin striping Kit or something that will work ?

Welcome old drone, I'm a noob here myself and as you can see have gotten alot of coaching from within... Are you referring to the original factory pinstriping thats on the tank?

Back