• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Seat cover replacement for 78 f 750

Marty

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am going to put a new cover on my seat and was wondering if any of you have had problems with the pan prongs being weak to bend in position and breaking off. I took the old cover off and did not bend any of the prongs up yet. I was thinking maybe they should be heated with a torch as to take out some of the temper before they get bent down on the new cover. The pan is in good shape with no rust underneath. Do you just bend the prongs a little and stretch the cover to pierce over the prongs. If anybody has a idea as to the best way to put the cover on please feel free to give your two cents worth. Thanks, Marty

I did have a few break off when I did this. I carefully drilled a hole near the broken tang and put in a pop rivet. I think it is a stronger attachment than the tang.

I had a friend with a 750 who had tangs break off also on his seat. It seems that the metal used in the pan stampings can not take much bending. I have done one seat myself in the past, but I remember that when I bent down the tangs I could tell they were weakened from being re bent. I am thinking that if I hit the bent areas and get them to a soft red color with a map torch it should take out the temper so when bent again it will not fatigue. I will repaint the pan before the new cover goes on for rust prevention. I have seen pop rivets used on seats before , in fact a seat I had done by a seat trimmer used the pop rivets and it didn't look bad and was secure. This bike I would prefer the factory process. If worse comes to worst ,the pop rivet is a option for sure!

Back