• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear bearing retainer tool

RhythmNSteel

CB750 Member
Reaction score
What's up y'all. I'm having trouble locating a bearing retainer tool for my 81 Honda CB750F. It seems the rear hub might have been swapped out from the original and the tool I purchased is too small. I'm looking for larger retainer tool. The distance I measured across from each hole is about 45mm and the holes next to each other are about 30mm. Any sources to get the right tool or methods to removing would be helpful. Thanks!
hub2.jpg hub1.jpg

If it was me, I'd be trying a 1x2, 1x4, or 2x4 with holes drilled the appropriate distance apart... put a couple of bolts through the board and wish for luck. A steel bar is another alternative, probably better if you have one available. Not a high-class tool, I know, but you'll hopefully only use it twice... take it apart and put it back together.

I've done this exact thing on my 73. I found a drill bit just a touch larger than the holes in the lock ring and reamed out two opposing holes (45mm) Then I took a hunk of hardwood, I think I used maple 1x2 if I remember correctly, and drill a hole with the same bit about 3" from the end. That gave me the first hole. Then using a busted bit I ground a point in a piece about 1/2" long and set it in the opposing hole.

Taking the good drill bit and flipping it over,so the smooth part of the bit was in the wood, I put it thru the wood and into the first hole and lowering the wood down till it touched the pint of the sharpened dowel (the busted bit I sharpened and cut off) and gave it a wack to mark the spot. Remove the wood, remove the bit and drill 2nd hole. Take a second bit the same size, slip it into the 2nd hole along with the first bit and Viola-homemade pin spanner. The ring isn't very tight and it will spin off easily if you drill out the punch marks made by the factory.

I know first hand this works, feels good to make a tool. I've also made the finger socket to remove the clutch basket too. That one was a little more involved but I smile every time I see it rolling around the tool box.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I'll keep the tool I bought. It may come in handy for future builds. Seems like I may just have to get creative like you and make a tool unless I can find the the larger size retainer tool. The manual says to use the ends of two drill bits that fit in the holes and unscrew by wedging a bar or screwdriver between them to get it loose.

Yeah, I saw the same idea in my service book. I couldn't find a bit that fit nice so I drilled it out slightly. I could have done the pry/screwdriver thing then but I've busted to many nuckles having things slip out. Many I'm smarter in my older age, maybe I don't heal as fast. I knew I'd have to tighten it after I replaced the bearing and the wood idea seems better all around.

Do yourself a favor and drill out the factory punches real good. It's tempting to just tough it out and loosen the ring but the threads are fine and soft so it'll be a bear to get them restarted during reassembly if you gunk them up. Hmm! San Jose...I bet you have a longer riding season than us. :)

Back