• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

need help - question about coils

tacodriver99

CB750 Member
Reaction score
i got a dynatek ignition,the coils i have are from a 73,there shot cause wire pulled out of one of them. so what i need to know is basicly are coils from 78-90's the same as far as using with ignition? all my wiring is going to be from scratch too

I believe that the coils from a Chevvy Nova are the preferred upgrade, you will need to fabricate mountings for them.

I believe you want Dyna 5 ohm coils (DC8-1) or 3 ohm (DC1-1) coils for the Dyna S ignition. You have the Dyna S and not the Dyna 2000 right? I think pretty much any dual output coil with 3-5 ohms of primary resistance will work, but I could be wrong about that. Do you know the resistance of the coils you have in mind? I think the DOHC coils are 3 ohms so they should work since you're not running points anymore. Do you have the coils already? Can you check the resistance with a multimeter? Are you trying to save a few bucks by using what you have instead of buying new? Replacement coils from CB750 Supply or Vintage CB750 are $36 each.

Back