• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Removing cam cover from Cb750K without removing motor

Kootenay doc

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I can remove all of the engine mounting bolts and exhaust system on my 1974 CB750, with the exception of the upper rear mounting bolt and rotate the engine downwards to remove the tappet cover without removing the engine from the frame. I really don't see any other way of doing this without removing the engine. Can anyone help?

They make a kit that when you cut the tubes out you weld the ends in and then the tubes are removable. If you are not planning on having to work on the motor often then just remove the motor its not that hard its just heavy.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I gave it a try yesterday. Removed all the motor mount bolts, exhaust system etc, and then dropped the engine down as far as it would go. Still need about half an inch more clearance, so the tappet cover is still on there. I guess I will just have to pull the engine. Thanks for the help

I have the splice kits on my 72 and their great, being able to remove the cover makes adjusting the valves very easy, along with any thing else you would need to do. Well worth the time and cost!

I have the splice kits on my 72 and their great, being able to remove the cover makes adjusting the valves very easy, along with any thing else you would need to do. Well worth the time and cost!

I just got the engine out....You were right, quite simple. I didn't even need to lift it, just slid it out the side. I just lowered my Handy Lift to the height of my portable work table, used a scissor jack under the engine to lift it up slightly and slid it sideways onto the bench. Took less than two hours start to finish....much less than many other engines I have pulled. Thanks for the help.

I read somewhere that weldless frame kits were available but the guy making them passed ..does anyone know if these are still available from another source?

I read somewhere that weldless frame kits were available but the guy making them passed ..does anyone know if these are still available from another source?
Gordon frame kit??
RRR Tool Solutions in Us used to/does sell them..but the inserts are "plug welded" I believe...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216-165252_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230216-165252_Chrome.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20230216-165714_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230216-165714_Chrome.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back