• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Not sure of my problem here...

Rusty_Gold

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So earlier today I went outside and started my bike up to let her warm up before I left. I came back outside maybe 10 minutes later, sometimes my throttle sticks unless I turn it all the way down, I think its the grips I have on, so therefore when i came back the bike was idling a little high, not really a problem but then i smelt a sort of burning rubber or oil smell, I couldn't really put my finger on it but it definitely smelled like something was burning, and then i noticed a slight amount of smoke coming from the front of the bike.

Upon further inspection I found what is shown in the pictures. A bunch of gunk around the middle headers, I'm not sure if its an oil or gas leak or what. Maybe a gasket? I was hoping someone would have some insight as to what it could be. I did end up taking the bike out and the smoking/smell stopped, and she rode perfectly fine for well over an hour. But as i returned home and parked the bike, it slightly came back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 116
It looks like the rubber sealing pucks under the cam towers are leaking. Only way to fix them is pull the motor so you can pull the valve cover then the camshaft and the cam towers.

On another note, I would never leave the bike running for 10 minutes just sitting there. By that time it has to be getting pretty darn hot with no air flow over the motor.

Thanks for the help, Im going to see if it persists cause it hasn't happened before, if it does it'll just be added to the list during the winter teardown lol as for leaving it sitting that long, I wasn't expecting to, i usually only let it warm up for a couple minutes then take it easy for a couple miles while riding it.

Back