• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Disfunctional Turn Signals

weatherman

CB750 New member
Reaction score
The turn signals on my K4 have stopped working. When the switch is engaged, both directions, I get a solid tone from the beeper and the front and rear lamps plus the indicator on the panel do not light up or flash. Does this sound like a component failure (bulbs appear to be ok) or a connection/continuity problem? The other lights and horn are working ok. Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Will they start to flash if you run up the revs? I had a similar issues and found the voltage regulator needed to be adjusted for more juice. Otherwise could be your winker relay.

I was thinking the same thing about revving it just a bit. Nothing crazy.
If you can't find a winker relay it might just be a little crud on the spring steel strip. I was able to get one back to working condition by removing the little bit of rust on it.

The signal lamps, front and rear as well as the indicator lamp on the panel do not light up at all. All I get is a continuous tone from the beeper. The problem first appeared when I used them to signal a freeway exit so low voltage likely isn't the problem. The battery is new, and the relay is about five years old and isn't an OEM item. I can't remember what it was doing back then (not flashing or not working) that prompted replacement. Is the switch a failure prone item? Or should I just start tracing wires and checking continuity? The other lights and horn work fine.

If you have a friend with a CB, ask if you can borrow his winker cube:devil: and replace it with a known good one for a quick check.

"Hey buddy can I borrow your winker?" Sounds pretty funny:wink2:

If you have a friend with a CB, ask if you can borrow his winker cube:devil: and replace it with a known good one for a quick check.

"Hey buddy can I borrow your winker?" Sounds pretty funny:wink2:

That's a good idea unfortunately I don't know anyone close by who has one. However a ride to Auto Zone to try a new one in the parking lot may be the next best thing!

I would check the switch, on my 72 when the relay wasnt working the signals would light up but not wink. Might just need to clean the contacts in the switch.

K2 is correct also.
It has been my experience that a good old cleaning of contact surfaces (including cleaning my winker, which worked great:cool:) solves most electrical woes on these guys.

Thanks for the responses. I cleaned the switch contacts and all of the connectors in the headlight tub and they worked.....for a little while anyway. So then I tried a new flasher relay and they are working again. I disassembled the old one and the connection to one of the terminals was a little loose.

Back