• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cylinder Head Replacement - 1980 CB 750K

Kannonball

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1980 CB 750K and the owner tells me that the head was replaced. I asked him about the repair and he said the engine was not removed but I see no upper frame kit on the bike (frame is completely intact as it came from the factory). I thought the head couldn't be removed with the engine in the bike unless the upper frame was cut and then an aftermarket was a kit installed to put the frame back together. Am I correct on this or is what I'm thinking for a different model bike? I'm a pretty fair bike mechanic but don't have a lot of experience with older Hondas, so might need lots of help from you guys if I buy this bike.
Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks Dave, This manual will come in handy for my single cam bike. The bike I'm asking about head clearance is an '81 twin cam and I just seem to remember hearing somewhere that either you pull the motor or you must cut a section out of the frame above the cam boxes. After reinstalling the head there is a repair kit you can buy to make the section you cut out a bolt in piece. I don't think the guy who owns the bike I'm looking at is being completely straight with me on a couple of things and this may be one also.
Bruce

Sorry, I linked the wrong post in my 1st reply. I corrected it to lead to my post with the 79-83 manual.

Back