• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hey everyone! Glad to be here!

Rusty_Gold

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Ran into a problem with my bike today, but well gett to that later. So i decided to join the forum, this is my 1975 Cb750, I've had it since April of this year, prior to this i have a 1971 CB175, fun little bike, very zippy, i had done a full cafe build on that one, it was my first bike and really made me fall in love with these vintage machines, the simplicity and endless possibilities for them are amaszing. But they can sure be a pain in the ass at times, but thats why were all here isnt it? To do some wrenching while havin a few beers? lol but ultimately decided i wanted more power.

She was in rough shape when i got her, this is the progress I've made through this summer with it. Over the winter i plan on doing a full teardown and cafe build up.

Today she took me with a suprise though, it was probably the last nice day before the winter that is be able to ride, so i pulled her out and gave her a kick and popped into first, and nothing but revs, no movement, i can let the clutch completely out and still not even a nudge. it goes into all the gears and neutral just fine but wont drive, i know i should make a separate post for this but i figured since im here maybe someone will know something and i can make a post at a later time.

So let me know if you have any ideas on what the culprit could be, and thanks for havin me i look forward to making my first build thread lol

Attachments

• 10374501_10153296374198677_6955959693996801866_n.jpg
    10374501_10153296374198677_6955959693996801866_n.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 166
Sorry, can't help with your problem. (Others will, though...). But I can say this: That's one SWEET RIDE you got there!!! Congrat's! And welcome to the forum. Nice place here...

Does the clutch feel like it has in the past? When you put it into gear with it running does it clunk like it sounds like it is going into gear? Is there any slack in the clutch cable or is it tight? If it is tight loosen it up until you have free play in the clutch lever. Check under the chrome clutch cover and make sure the lever is moving and moving back with no binding. Sounds like a clutch issue or it actually isn't going into gear just feeling the detents.

As far as I can tell it does feel a little loose, first thing tomorrow I'll take the cover off as you stated and check around in there and see if anything is messing with it

Pull in the clutch lever and let it snap back by itself a couple of times and then see if the pull of the lever feels more normal. Could be the clutch plates hanging up on some deep grooves on the clutch basket.

So I pulled off the cover the other day and it seems that the spring was a little worn, I ordered a new one but in the mean time i just adjusted the clutch at the bars nice and tight and it seems back to normal, so I'm assuming it was the springs age, thanks for the advice on pulling off the cover!

You shouldn't have the lever tight...you need a little free slack in the clutch lever or you will burn the clutch because it will hold the clutch in just a bit and let is slip. Doesn't need to be a lot of slack just a little free play...about an 1/8" or so.

Im pretty sure its not too tight, it was just very loose prior to my tightening it, ill take another look in the morning to make sure theres a little free play on the handle, thanks

Back