• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Needing a new chain and I'm totally lost

sb750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I recently acquired a beautiful 1978 cb750 f and I have been giving it the once over doing all my maintenance stuff so I can know where I stand with what has and hasn't been done in awhile.

My chain seemed really loose so I tightened per the manual but had to tighten it into the "replace chain" marking on the bike to get it to an acceptable amount of play.

Here is where I'm stuck.

How do I know what chain I need to buy to replace it? I tried doing some research and I keep seeing things about converting from 630 to a 530, but have no clue how you tell which I have set up on my bike since I dont know if the po maybe already switched things up.

The rear sprocket looks ok, I can't see the front sprocket. I read somewhere it's a good idea to always replace the chain and sprockets at the same time. Is this true? If so then I also need to know what sprockets I should be using as well. Also, what is the best way to get at the front sprocket if I do need to change it?

So put simply
What chain?
Do I need new sprockets?
What sprockets are best?
What teeth ratio do most guys use?

Thanks so much for all the wisdom on this forum! It's great to have somewhere to go and get an answer from people who know their stuff

I have a '78 750 with original sprockets. I replaced the chain with a 630 O-ring chain (original equipment). I went to the Honda dealer and they ordered it for me. Seems I paid around $130 for it.

$130 is about in the right price range for an o-ring 630 chain. One place you dont want to be cheap is with the drive chain

$130 is about in the right price range for an o-ring 630 chain. One place you dont want to be cheap is with the drive chain

Amen to that. Frugal is smart. Cheap is deadly. It's worth the $130 for the O-ring chain. You'll like it alot more than a regular one.

Don't think that the Honda dealer doesn't stock your parts because of the age of the bike. If they don't have them them right there, they can easily order them.

They'll know what chain and sprockets you need. Go with the O-Ring chain, properly cared for it lasts much longer. I would replace the chain as sprockets as a set as well.

Quote from the parts guy at Merced (ca) Honda - There's tons of those old bikes still running around.

Back