• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

82 750 Nighthawk ran choked for about 20mins. Now she wont stay running.

ScottBurke

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

As subject states I ran it choked for about 20 mins low cruising speed through town and it started stalling and the died. It now isn't driving for more than about 5 mins choked before stalling again. will stall as soon as its unchoked. Seem like it has trouble starting then starts and sounds fine. not rough running at all. plugs are fine. ran great before this incident. Carbs were just worked over before I bought it. Any Ideas??? This was the first time I had ran it choked for more than 2 mins or so. just picked it up last week.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the carbs on that bike, but most choke circuits from carbs on these old bikes do not actually restrict air but enrich fuel. So when they run with the choke on, but not when it's shut off, that usually means clogged pilot jets and idle circuits. I'd suspect the carbs and clean them again. Perhaps there is shit in the tank that clogged the carbs again?

Hell it could be anything. I have been reading about air pods. it has them on it. im now looking for a stock air box In hopes that it would be that easy.

So you had a fouled plug too? I'd still look into the carburetors. Did it run fine then suddenly start acting up? Or did you make changes like put pod filters on?

It had pods when I bought it. Ran great then just started acting up. Now it won't start. And I would say plugs are fouling

Change the plugs yet? They're cheap and easy. Maybe the jetting is too rich and you're fouling them fast.

Thanks for the replies! just for the hell of it I trimmed the plug wires and it fired right up. went for a nice long city cruise! love it.

Back