• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

81 cb750 dohc- engine flooded- now what?

my03

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I just had my engine rebuilt and been so busy to run it in and the demons continue with this bike.

I forgot to turn the fuel tap on the off position for a few days. And the bike has since been sitting for a few weeks. I discovered there was a slight leak in the fuel tap even in the off position.

I tried starting the bike and it wouldn't turn over. Sounds like it's flooded. The carbs smell like fuel and when I tried to start it some fuel came out of the exhaust outlet where it connects to the exhaust manifold.

So what I'm going to do now is empty the gas tank and replace the fuel tap.

Is there anything else I should do? Some say drain the bowls in the carbs (I have keihin cr29)

Will the fuel evaporate from he cylinders themself?

Should I change the oil or will the fuel in the oil evaporate when I ride the bike? Will it damage the bike if I don't change the oil?

Should I even not try to start it until I've changed the oil? Is there anything else I need to do like drain the fuel from the crankcase?

I thought a flooded engine was as easy as waiting for the fuel to evaporate (few days) and cut the source of the fuel leak?

Thanks guys

>Will the fuel evaporate from he cylinders themself?
Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it.

>Should I change the oil or will the fuel in the oil evaporate when I ride the bike? Will it damage the bike if I don't change the oil?
Change the Oil! Yes, you could damage the engine, just running a little bit and not having proper lubrication on the bearing in the engine can damage them.

>Should I even not try to start it until I've changed the oil? Is there anything else I need to do like drain the fuel from the crankcase?
Yes, get all the fuel out of the engine as possible. Maybe even turn it over a couple of times after the first oil change, then change the oil again.

Maybe I'm just a bit to cautious. They way I see it, a few quarts of oil is a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.

Back