• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How to convert from an air filter to air pods?

tonupboy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Just recently bought an 82 750k and I am also completely new to the motorcycle world , I was wondering if I need to overhaul my carbs to replace the air box with air pods?

Dont do pods with these carbs, you will never get them to run correct. Stick with the airbox.

I second Digger.
I had Pods and different jets on my bike and when I bought it.
It ran "ok", so I thought...
When I put the stock jets and air box on, it ran a 1000 times better.
More power.
More MPG's
Smother through the revs.

Guess I will weigh in here too. Messed with pods but then went back to the stock airbox. Runs better.

I third what digger said. For the most part the engineers at Honda knew what they were doing. Once you start messing with the intake or exhaust, getting the carbs dialed in right is a puzzle. If there are issues that are carb related, then rebuild/clean them.

I wouldn't bother with new carbs unless your interested turning it into some sort of hot rod. Get comfortable with basic maintenance first before you jump into mods.

Steeldragon does quality work, but that airbox is no where near as restrictive as the stock airbox. That one is almost equal in flow to pods I think, hence you'll have the same issues as with pods..

But it sure looks great.

Considering all 4 carbs would be now in one box/filter I would think it would be a huge improvement over having separate filters on the carbs. Im going to order one this winter and give it a go and see what happens. Worst that happens is it runs the same as it does now. LoL

Considering all 4 carbs would be now in one box/filter I would think it would be a huge improvement over having separate filters on the carbs. Im going to order one this winter and give it a go and see what happens. Worst that happens is it runs the same as it does now. LoL

Keep us posted on your progress Kevin. I'm eager to find out if that airbox is a fix for those CV carbs.

Last edited:
We have had the best luck with dual makuni carbs . cycle x sells a kit for around 500
we have basically tried every thing we could think of to get the stock carbs to run right with pods .
stage3 jet kit from dinajet made a huge improvement but still couldn't dial it in 100% though the whole rpm range .
maybe the jet kit and the filter above could be the ticket , now i'm really carious to see

Maliciouscycles, I almost pulled the trigger and bought a dual carb kit from from Cycle X this past winter but got the bike to run so it was rideable but still not close to happy with it and might still go that route this winter. You have a bike now with the set up on it? I would love to see pictures.

Maliciouscycles, I almost pulled the trigger and bought a dual carb kit from from Cycle X this past winter but got the bike to run so it was rideable but still not close to happy with it and might still go that route this winter. You have a bike now with the set up on it? I would love to see pictures.
Some of the best minds that never worked for Honda are right here in this forum.. Awesome! Some times I wait before posting as the question was more then likely asked already... Props boys

I believe this is the third bike we have used these on , your able to index the boots so they more parallel to center line of the frame, on this bike they tend to give shorter guys hickies on there inner thighs:D
P8225796.jpgP8215708.jpgP8215699.jpg

Dang! That bike is sick! I would love to see that in person. Love the carb set up too. Im really thinking I am going to pull the trigger and get the Cycle X set up this winter. Having more issues with my carbs again yesterday and about to just pull em off and smash them with a hammer. lol Also, my motor resides in an AMEN hardtail frame so shouldnt have any issue with the mounting of the carbs. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140609_120056.jpg
    IMG_20140609_120056.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 196
hippie if your ever up north stop by to our shop and check it out, or we will have it at the Donnie smith show in march ... i know how you feel man about the carbs, but there 30+ years old and not made to run without the air box, we have learned that the hard way. New carbs are the way to go ! I think they will fit your frame perfect.

Back