• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Popping and occasional backfire

visorclown

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about already but I didn't find anything that answered my question, so here it is. I have an '81 cb750K. It runs pretty good with 19k+. I've only had the bike for a few months now and have put 1100 miles on it. I've noticed that the popping in one specific muffler (there are 4) is popping a lot, especially around 4k RPM. It does it on a constant accel and decel. Do these symptoms sound more like a carb issue or a leak? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Could be an exhaust leak. Check the tightness of the header onto the engine block, as well the clamps below where the header meets the muffler. If that doesn't work, you may have to replace the exhaust crush gaskets between the header and the block. It's possible that the previous owner removed the exhaust and didn't replace the gaskets.

Agree with Greyhound. Mine didn't have the crush gaskets. They are kind of a pain to keep in place while putting the header on. Maybe that's why they aren't put in. Also, I had heard that pops in specific cylinders were sometimes caused by little areas of carbon build up in the cylinder that gets superheated and wants to ignite the fuel.

Back