• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB500 Hardtail Exhaust Dragging

schmackschmack

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions or solutions for dragging exhaust pipes? The bike's been hardtailed and sits low. When I go through curves I scrape or come very close. I've gone through two hose clamps & I'm starting to lose the header wrap. I'm running stock exhaust that's been run 4-2 & cut off just behind the foot pegs. I'll include a picture.

I would like to be able to lower the front this winter but I realize there isn't a whole lot of ground clearance left. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 2012-03-16_21-59-52_168.jpg
    2012-03-16_21-59-52_168.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 193
Honestly if you want to be able to ride the bike then you shouldn't lower it anymore. If its already to low and it drags then why go lower?:shrug: Maybe you could custom build an exhaust and tuck it up a little tighter.? I wouldn't go any lower if you want it functional. Looks good the way it is to me.

Yeah I think you're right. However, we've seen it strapped down to a trailer and it looks really good. For me, it's got to be functional & I'm very pleased with they way it sits now so we'll see.

We talked about some options & my brother has a few good ideas we'll probably try. After we get that behind us we can see how much ground clearance we're playing with and go from there.

We'll report back when we takle that obstacle.

Mine dragged bad until I upped my front tire by 20mm roughly, now the bike sits level and a touch higher enabling a sweet cornering bobber!

You could get a bigger rear tire, raise the exhaust, or redo the hardtail for more ground clearance.

The header wrap has been cut back a little so when the pipes drag a little bit, it hasn't created any problems. I think if I cut the pipes off right under the foot pegs that will give me a lot of leaning-space. If I do away with the 2-1 pieces that may also free up a little space, also. I'm pretty sure my neighbors already hate me so what's a few less inches of exhaust gonna hurt???
I haven't been thinking of lowering the front as much lately. I may be over that. I think the bike looks freakin' awesome as it sits now.

You will probably be surprised at how much the jetting will change when going from the 4 into 2 to the 4 short open pipes. It will be louder but more than likely wont run as well. These motors respond better to a well sorted collector scavange system over 4 open drag pipes. But if you are more concerned about looks than it doesn't matter :bike:

Good call. That's not something I've even considered. I'm leaning more towards functionality & I really want a little more clearance in the curves. I'm about 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC...actually about 10 minutes from Rider's Roost Ferguson, where the WHCM is held, so I'll find myself in some curves.

I'll continue riding it the way it is and play around with it this winter. Maybe just bringing them in under the bikes center a little more??? Who knows what will happen. I'll keep you posted.

I took my stock 4n2 apart and left the 4 open headers there ... They sounded gret but the bike didnt preform properly... So I put the stock back on... I'm looking for cheap solutions to this. They are frankly just to long. Any advice? I'm building a bobber (ridged and all)

Back