• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750K 1977/78 exhaust on a 1976 CB750K

Zach Phillips

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1976 CB750K that has had the exhaust modified with 77 or 78 exhaust. I love the sound but two of the four pipes blow exhaust out at the engine exhaust flange. Two seem to be sealed well with now noticeable exhaust leakage. From what I can find online, I am seeing that the 77 and 78 have a different style clamp that actually bolts directly into the engine. Where as the 1976 has the finned clamp that tightens over the exhaust. The bike came to me with the clamp style.

I guess what I am looking for is what is supposed to be used if I want to keep these pipes on the bike. I have seen different collars that seem to be used with these. When I removed the clamp on exhaust #3, it had a very small 3 piece shim that went around the exhaust flange and the clamp. That still left a small gap in between the actual pipe and the exhaust flange. So I am guessing that this piece was put in there just to have something for the clamp to tighten down on as it has to be tightened all the way down on the clamp and cannot be clamped any further.

Back