• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

hello new guy here with a question about wheels

iaddrummer

CB750 Member
Reaction score
ok so i bought my first bike yesterday picked up a 1980 cb750c for $300 bucks im gonna work on getting it running this weekend. My question is this im wanting to eventually bob it this fall/winter and i wanna go with the fat tire/16" rim look and was wondering if anyone knows of a good set of 16" rims to run as a replacement to the mags with as little to no hassle as possible. like is there any rims i could switch out for that would allready fit and also will i be able to replace the double disc breaks in the front with a single disc?

thanks

derrick:cool:

It's kind of a tough question. I'm not sure of anything that will bolt on and give you everything you want. A lot of times wheel swaps mean machine work on the hubs, brake calipers, and/or axles... and custom wheel spacers, and maybe custom brackets for the calipers. A lot of times it's easier to swap the whole front end, but that can create problems of it's own. For the rear if you want a disc brake, it's the same general problems and you have to worry about sprocket alignment as well. If you go with a drum rear brake with a spoke wheel, just swap everything over from a DOHC with a spoke rear wheel.

Now none of the that addresses rims size, because pretty much any wheel you use won't be a 16". Even if you get the 36 spoke hubs figured out you'll need to find some 16" rims and will probably need custom spokes from a place like Buchanan's.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with an easy solution. Maybe something from an early goldwing?

Another thought is Cycle X has wider spoked wheels available in several sizes.

I just studied tires for 4 months memorizing the sizes, profiles..values on a metric and made my bike sit level and appear to have similar front and rear tires (fat)....rather than dik around with the above mentioned..

yep i looked into cycle x and realised that if i were to go that route it would be just as if not more expensive than going to a harley front end and wheeel set which i originally wanted to do and after talking to the people at cycleone and they told me they have done 4 or so bobs/choppers from the dohc 750 and all of them they switched to a harley front end and wheel set because it gives you more options for the look your going for. especially in a fat white wall tire application

So what do you have to do to get the harley front end to work? Just different bearings in the neck?

from what i understand different neck bearings and have a new neck machined to fit i think i am not 100% on it you can google it and the guy that i know that does machine work has done like 5 or 6 harley front end conversions on jap bikes with great success

Back