• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear sprocket change for lower hwy RPM's.

Daren

Daren
Reaction score
Hi all,
after doing a search it seems I'm not the only one wishing I had a sixth gear. It has been noted to reduce the rear sprocket by 2-4 teeth.
I would assume this mod requires a few links off the chain too? Can anyone which has done this comment on their experiences.
And as a matter of course I actually do want to take off the line a little slower, my bike's a cruiser not a racer.
thanks.

Before you remove links, count the number of links that are in your existing chain. The minimum are 100 links for the K0 thru K6 with the OEM sprocket, I believe. I recently replaced my 108 link chain with a 100 link, so there is room for variation. If you already have a shorter chain, you might be able to take up the slack resulting from a smaller rear sprocket, just by adjustment.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice, I think I will go down from 48 to 45 or 44T.
My rear axle is about halfway in the dropouts so maybe there will be room for
adjustment rather than link removal, but that would put my axle too close to
the end of the dropouts I fear. With present gearing the bike is too "zippy" and
I need to throttle it for liftoff from a red light while the friendly guys in the
black and white are watching.

Back