• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Strong Gas Smell after Leaving Petcock On

Zach Phillips

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So I got my first CB750! A 1976 that needs a little of attention here and there but overall looks and rides pretty well. After the shipper dropped off the bike yesterday, I had to head to work. but I just couldn't leave until I at least heard it run. Well in my haste to not be even more late to work, I forgot to turn the petcock off. Fast forward 5 hours (short day of work), I come home to a garage that smells like gas. I grab a flashlight and quickly see the petcock in the run position, flip it forward to shut it off. And then start to see all the gas that is dripping out of the drain lines as well as the puddle that has accumulated on the engine. I cleaned as much as I could last night, and this morning I did spray the bike down just to be sure to remove any gas on the engine or any that couldn't quite see the night before. After about 20 minutes of drying, I started it up and it ran just fine. Problem is that it still smells like gas in there. Not exactly what you want your wife to come home to the first day of you getting a bike that she doesn't even understand why you bought it..! I plan on doing an oil change on Sunday as the oil now smells like fuel as well. Probably going to remove the air filter and see if there is any gas residue in there as well.

Any other areas that I should be looking into. Thanks!

Hey Zach, Welcome to the site. You need to clean/rebuild your carburetors. The needle and seat that shuts off the gas with the floats are dirty/old and not sealing causing the bowls to overflow.

Back