• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Title matches engine but not Frame 1971 CB 750

sidmabb

Wolfman
Reaction score
I bought a bike last night and like an idiot I took the guys word the #'s matched then got home and they don't:mad:. I read some where this is normal but I can't believe that is true. I called the guy and he insists As long as I have the title for the engine and a bill of sale for the frame I'm good. Maybe in some states but I'm in Iowa.

What is your opinion.
Dont want to start chopping & cutting until I get this figured out
001.jpg

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Frame number and engine number are never the same but the frame is always titled not the engine because the year of the bike is determined by the frame number not the motor number. Honda never matched the frame and the engine numbers, they were produced on different assembly lines and at different rates. Engines were pulled as needed to produce bikes.

Now I'm more confused. Because My tile matches my engine CB750E1046292 is on title & engine. This makes me feel a little better because maybe some one in an official capacity made a mistake and they will correct it when I transfer it. I know good luck right.
Thanks

The engine is never titled because the frame is considered the bike. Engines can be swapped at anytime for another engine so it would be pointless to title the engine number. Replacement cases from Honda didn't come with a number. Its just like in automobiles...you dont title the the engine you title the car body. Either someone made a mistake or someone was trying to get around a problem with the frame number...salvage, stolen, etc.

I called the Treasurers office today and they didn't seem to concerned. I about fell over. They said bring in the title and frame # and if things checked out they would transfer it into my name with a correction.
I am going to see if I can figure out if the #'s both come from the same time period.
engine CB750E1046292
Frame CB750-1045781

As far as I can tell they are both 1971 numbers so that increases my chances greatly
But Ive also located a 1978? CB 750F/with title

To bad the frame is butchered already or I would probably go stock and modify the other one so bobber it is. I was thinking there was a couple week things on these early bikes. Is that true and if so what were they?

This one is supposed to be a fresh rebuild but after getting it home it looks like oil is seeping out under the head. Not gonna touch it until I get the title legal
Havn't seen the other one yet but it will probably be even cheaper to buy. A friend has it and he thinks Harley Davidson is the only motorcycle ever built

Now I'm more confused. Because My tile matches my engine CB750E1046292 is on title & engine. This makes me feel a little better because maybe some one in an official capacity made a mistake and they will correct it when I transfer it. I know good luck right.
Thanks
Some of the early models, did definitely have matching frame and engine numbers, and both was put on the UK V5 logbook which is similar to the title you have, both my early bikes have matching engine and frame numbers

Back