• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil cooling

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I know these things run on the hot side. I am running 20W50 and it still seems to be pretty thin after riding. Any experience at there with oil cooling. CycleX has a spin-on adapter that you can add oil cooler lines to. Just wondering what sort of options I might have other than a $300 Jagg cooler.

I run the same weight oil after a ride the oil runs off the dipstick like 15 weight as long as the oil pressure does not drop off alot I don,t worry about it. Years ago I added a 3 tube lockhart cooler on My dry sump BSA lightning and to tell You the truth the oil seemed just as hot.

I run 20-50 in my big bore stuff along with an oil cooler. 10-40 is actually fine in a stock motor as well as you are not running it hard on a hot day. Adding an oil cooler is always a positive thing. Air cooled motors run hotter by nature and thus makes the oil run hotter as well. I wont run a big bore of any size without an oil cooler.

I run 20-50 in my big bore stuff along with an oil cooler. 10-40 is actually fine in a stock motor as well as you are not running it hard on a hot day. Adding an oil cooler is always a positive thing. Air cooled motors run hotter by nature and thus makes the oil run hotter as well. I wont run a big bore of any size without an oil cooler.

DD - What kind of oil cooler do you run?

I use the Lockhart oil cooler. This is the same cooler that RC Engineering used to sell for there motors. You can find them sometimes but you could go with the adapter plate and find either something aftermarket or look for an oil cooler off of a newer motorcycle that had oil coolers from the factory.

Hello Guys...I am new to the Forum, I am in the process of building a cafe/streetfighter with my 78 CB750 supersport. I have made a site with my detailed build (atleast till latest stage). I would like you to visit it and leave your comments about the build....even if it is a suggestion or pointing out mistakes.

The site is www.ridevana.com

NO, I am not a spammer. :bike:

Hello Guys...I am new to the Forum, I am in the process of building a cafe/streetfighter with my 78 CB750 supersport. I have made a site with my detailed build (atleast till latest stage). I would like you to visit it and leave your comments about the build....even if it is a suggestion or pointing out mistakes.

The site is www.ridevana.com

NO, I am not a spammer. :bike:

Nice website. Interesting that the rear brake is drilled but not the fronts. CycleX did my head and fixed a couple of factory faux paux like soft exhaust guides, open cylinder stud holes, and better valve retainers. Might also want to consider a frame splice kit while you have it apart. It allows you to take off the head without removing the engine. My mistakes - too much time on cosmetics before the engine was running well, not understanding the carbs well enough to know that the main needle jets were set way too rich, waiting too long to get a proper maintenance manual. I have some pictures on the gallery and on my profile. Good luck.

Nice website. Interesting that the rear brake is drilled but not the fronts. CycleX did my head and fixed a couple of factory faux paux like soft exhaust guides, open cylinder stud holes, and better valve retainers. Might also want to consider a frame splice kit while you have it apart. It allows you to take off the head without removing the engine. My mistakes - too much time on cosmetics before the engine was running well, not understanding the carbs well enough to know that the main needle jets were set way too rich, waiting too long to get a proper maintenance manual. I have some pictures on the gallery and on my profile. Good luck.

Thanks so much for visiting the site. I will Look into the frame splice kit, I did think about it because my friend has a 1980 CB and his has the detachable link in the frame.

Back