• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front fork seal blew

raene

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So, I think I messed up the right front fork on my bike... 1982 CB 750 C.

I pulled the fender off because it's quite beat up, but after riding around for a bit and doing a bit of riding on some rough roads I've gotten fluid leaking from the right dust cap and the front end is feeling pretty rattley/bouncy now - not as nicely damped. Feels like it popped during the ride; I looked down when I went over a bump because I felt something and noticed the fluid.

First question, is the fender a structural component that's needed? If I remove it, I take it I need to add a bracket or brace between the forks?

Second question, the Clymer manual I've got says the fork seals can only be replaced with special tools and a hydraulic press; any chance a good shadetree mechanic could jig something up? I do have some extra fork seals.

TIA!

Still curious about the first question - I pulled it apart today and rebuilt it, so I'll check it out tomorrow and see how well the rebuild went. Used Dexron ATF, and found there was a 3.75" PVC spacer in the top of each shock. The springs are out of spec at 19" length each, so it was probably in there to help out with that, but I still think that was too much preload.

The fender is not a fork brace, You can add a aftermarket fork tube brace if available to stiffen the front end up for tighter handling properties. Probally blew the seal on the bumpy roads. The springs might be aftermarket made by progressive there lenghts are different than stock or there just worn. Make sure the amount of fluid in the tubes are correct to spec,s

Thanks, it's definitely softer than before (but quite rideable) and they are progressive springs. I used 6oz per side. Appreciate the advice about the fender too :) Do you know of a good fork tube brace?

Darn, spoke too soon - it just started weeping again. I guess that means I need a new fork tube/tubes. I haven't come across any; are there good options for OEM replacements or is it worth looking at an upgrade - I hear the CBR600 front can be fitted? Anyone have more details on this?

Back