• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Shocked!

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
The bike quit on me the other day. It did not bog like it had carb issues (solved all those) just quit. Would not restart. Luckily I touched both the tank and the front brake lever while trying to start it and got a BIG shock. I took the tank off in a parking lot and rearranged the spark plug wires. It started right up but on the way home I felt some tingling (intermittently) when my leg touched the tank. I am running a CycleX ignition with a high energy coil. I am guessing that something is touching the tank and bleeding off the coil voltage. I didn't see any evidence worn, frayed, or cut wires or plug boots. I do not get any shocks with the tank off. I moved the coil forward as far as I could and I put electrical tape on the coil boots. It seems to have stopped. If the boots were touching the tank would that allow voltage to bleed off to the tank? Other things to check? Thanks.

Electric will follow the path of least resistance as You said You moved the coil and problem stopped, If You have the room cut a piece of rubber hose large enough to cover the boot and wire. Could turn into a firecracker if the fuel tank is low and fuel vapor is high. Glad to hear You have it back on the road. Take care

Make sure the case of the coil has a good ground. Get some di-electric grease and coat the ends of the plug wires...it helps with electrical conduction in the wire and insulates it from moisture and helps keep the spark in the right places, unless there is an issue with the wire or boot. I would bet $100 if you got caught in a rain storm even with the electrical tape you would get a nice jolt right where it would hurt the most lol

Electric will follow the path of least resistance as You said You moved the coil and problem stopped, If You have the room cut a piece of rubber hose large enough to cover the boot and wire. Could turn into a firecracker if the fuel tank is low and fuel vapor is high. Glad to hear You have it back on the road. Take care

Yeah, a big concern for me as well. Nothing like feeling electricity on your leg when there is 4 gallons of premium between that leg and the other.

Yeah, a big concern for me as well. Nothing like feeling electricity on your leg when there is 4 gallons of premium between that leg and the other.

Make sure the case of the coil has a good ground. Get some di-electric grease and coat the ends of the plug wires...it helps with electrical conduction in the wire and insulates it from moisture and helps keep the spark in the right places, unless there is an issue with the wire or boot. I would bet $100 if you got caught in a rain storm even with the electrical tape you would get a nice jolt right where it would hurt the most lol

You would probably win that $100. Who knew I was riding some sort of blacklist torture machine. So to ground...the coil is a single unit with four coil posts encased in some sort of thermoplastic. The mounting holes are lined with a bronze bushing. I had assume that was for mechanical strength. The mounting clamps were rubber coated so I thought the idea was for the coil to float. I see no ground wire coming from the coil. Sounds like a ground to one of the mounting holes will solve the problem. Would you agree?

You would probably win that $100. Who knew I was riding some sort of blacklist torture machine. So to ground...the coil is a single unit with four coil posts encased in some sort of thermoplastic. The mounting holes are lined with a bronze bushing. I had assume that was for mechanical strength. The mounting clamps were rubber coated so I thought the idea was for the coil to float. I see no ground wire coming from the coil. Sounds like a ground to one of the mounting holes will solve the problem. Would you agree?

I forgot they used the single coil pack. I would ground one of the bronze inserts. It may not need it but the coils packs on automotive applications DO ground through the inserts. Have seen coils last short amounts of time when the packs had poor grounds. It may or may not fix it because it may or may not need a ground but it wont hurt.

DD - I grounded it just the way you said last night. Whether it needs it or not it makes me feel better. Also going to spray a little rubber coating on the tank tunnel in the coil area just to be sure.

If You have a inner tube laying around cut a piece that will cover the top frame and coil pack and install the tank on top. There excellent for insulation.

Be sure to get di electric grease and put on those connections, it will help with the electrical bleeding out of the plug and coil boots.

Got the dielectric grease today. Put on 40 care free miles today so the grounding seems to have worked as well. Thanks for all the tips.

Back