• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rattling from front of engine

Trying to keep it running

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi. First post here, and I hope to have more. I have a 1982 CB750SC. She's a beaut and hasn't given me too many problems due to age that I couldn't handle, but this one is puzzling me. The bike recently developed a rattle in the front. I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with exhaust, but I cannot find an accurate duplicate description of the sound I'm hearing on any forums. It is a distinct rattling noise that sounds like ball bearings in a coffee can (think rattling a can at a bad dog... lol). I'm pretty sure it's not a cam chain. I've hear cam chain noise before, and this ain't it. It is off and on at all rpms. It lessens or goes away for a moment when I pull the clutch in or sit at idle. But if I torque the accelerator (with the clutch in or out) it's there. Seems to occur only when I apply a load on the engine. I'm hoping it's just needing those copper exhaust pipe gaskets. Anyone with an idea on this...? Thanks

If it has stock exhaust...the stock pipes are duel walled and the inner and outer pipe can separate and rattle against each other. Take your hand and beat on the pipes and they will probably rattle.

Hey, I think Ive been having the same issue. Mine only happens once the bike has been warmed up, like after a 20 minute ride. Same thing for me when I rev it up it rattles and then when its idle it slows down and goes away. One thing I noticed is that my exhaust header on the right side of the bike is a little off because my father dropped it many years ago and put a dent in the pipe which causes it to not set flush in the header area. I'm thinking this may be the issue but not sure. Ive tried to bend the pipe many ways and its nearly impossible. Try to see if your pipes are flush to the headers.

Back