• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Needle clip position

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
What is the factory default position for the clip on the carb needle. Middle (of 5 slots)?? Do you have to have to disassemble the entire carb assembly and remove the throttle shaft to get at the clip adjustment? Thanks.

early style carbs are no problem to change. Late model are a pain, they dont have to be split but after you take the tops off you have to remove the bolt holding the arm to the shaft then rotate it on the shaft till you can remove the clips on the linkage then remove the linkage then you can pull the slide and needle out. Then you have to remove the two screws from the inside of the slide and remove that to access the needle. 78 carbs have non adjustable needles pre 78 have adjustable needles. Usually the middle is the standard setting but there have been cases of factory never opened carbs being a clip position up or down. Generally you start in the middle and adjust from there.

Thanks DD. Your method beats splitting the whole assembly apart. Might be a moot point as the plugs look better already with the new carbs I got. The guy who rebuilt then says the needles are in the middle position. Still need to do some idle and possible main jet tweaking but the signs are encouraging.

The idle jets are replaceable despite what some people say. They are pressed in but they can be changed. Jetsrus sells jets for these carbs. Even stock they are lean at idle so I would think about going up one idle size. If you need more then 1 turn from stock then you need to look at jets.

I would like to see what is wrong inside those old carbs...something is going on in there.:wtf:

I think the old carbs had the needles at the full rich setting despite contrary info from the PO. At this point they are on their way to California as a core credit. Good riddance. Current carbs are running well with the idle screws at 1/2 turn out. Actually had a lot of fun this weekend, just riding and answering questions every time I stopped.

Back