• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!
I had a '93 NH750 with stock pipes. I knocked the heads off the rivets that hold in the baffle with a cold chisel, took the baffle out and cut off about 4 inches of the pipe, put the baffle back in and secured it with sheet metal screws. The bike sounded GREAT! Not too loud, a good snarly growl, but it popped on decel. I took the baffles out and added a thumb screw in the center, cocked at 45 degrees to flow, and it worked perfectly. It sounded even better, and the popping stopped.

If you say so.

I did it once on an earlier 750F DOHC model and the worst sounding noise I've ever heard in my life. Of course it may well depend on what part of the exhaust looping is found when you go in at that point, each model is designed differently as to what you will find upon cutting the pipes apart. Mine had a horrible super loud flat sounding note that sounded like engine was not running right even though it was, like a cylinder was not working. Pure ratty noise with no beauty to it at all. I used it as an excuse to get a true tuned header and no comparison there.

The CB550 sounded better but removing the OEM muffler and adding a Vance/Hines rear megaphone lying around brought that one a much better sound as well that killed much of the objectionable rasp but kept the smooth header sound.

Both of the bikes picked up a solid chuck of torque that was not there before, showing going in the right direction. The plugs went leaner and slight jetting up made them run even better.

Last edited:
Back