• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New guy starting my project

crfnick56

CB750 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, Just wanted to introduce myself and post up here with my progress as it goes. First things first, about myself. I have raced motocross since I was 10 years old and now that I'm 28, my body has had enough so its time to swith to the street. A family friend has been talking about his fathers "old honda" he has in the shed out back for a while now so I finally asked him what it was and what he wanted for it. Turns out its a 1974 CB750 and he only wants $400 for it. He said that it ran up until it was parked about 4 years ago and that it is in what he called "decent shape" I told him I'd take a look at it this weekend but I already decided I'm taking it home no matter what. I know the family well and I know they always take good care of their stuff so I'm pretty confident that it will be a good start to a project. My plans are to cafe it, but to what extent I'm not 100% sure yet. I don't have a huge budget for it so it all depends on what it takes to get it running to what I will be able to do to it cosmetically. I will be doing the work myself with the help of my dad and I'm sure I will be posting questions on here when the time comes :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good starter bike. I have been riding offroad and mx for about 20yrs, dont race, never had the money or time to train and practice regular enough. Good thing about a dirt bike background is it teaches you how to deal with being ready to loose traction and such...hit a patch of gravel or something on the street and it freaks most people out. I see your profile name is crf so at least you rode a Honda:laugh:

Sounds like a good starter bike. I have been riding offroad and mx for about 20yrs, dont race, never had the money or time to train and practice regular enough. Good thing about a dirt bike background is it teaches you how to deal with being ready to loose traction and such...hit a patch of gravel or something on the street and it freaks most people out. I see your profile name is crf so at least you rode a Honda:laugh:

Thats where I'm at now, working full time changes things from when I was 17 or 18 being able to ride whenever I wanted to and still having parents that supported the racing 100%. Now that I'm older (only 28 but thats old in the motocross world) things have changed. I still ride for fun a few weekends here and there but nothing like I used to. And the username, ummm, well I actually have rode a Kawasaki 450 since 2012 but the crf username is what I have always had on every forum I ever joined so it just makes it easy to remember if I keep them all the same. But I did ride a Honda 450 from 2005-2011

Hey crfnick56 if you are in the york area the white rose mc has there vintage jap show and swap meet Aug. 14, 15, 16 its a good show lots of venders

OK so quick little update. I got the bike finally, found out that it had been sitting since 2008 but thankfully he was smart enough to totally drain the fuel out of the carbs and tank. The tank is SPOTLESS inside which really was a relief. I pulled the carbs off and just checked them out and they could use a good thourough cleaning but they were really clean considering the bike hsan't ran since 2008. I checked the oil and it looked good to me so I put some gas in the tank and kicked it over a ew times. Well, 4th kick it started!!!! Talk about a surprise. Runs good, no real issues that I have found yet. Only thing it needs is an ignition switch (i'm guessing the key was lost at some point). There is just a toggle switch ran from the harness back under the seat for now but they didn't cut the main harness, just tapped in up front where the switch plugs in. From what I can tell they just cut the switch off and used the wires there because there is still a plug right up front.

Also, on the left side, near the starter solenoid, there is a small box that says something about starter safety something, I can't quite read it. Can somebody tell me what that is? And would it have anything to do with why the starter only runs when you jumper across the two terminals? Thats been the only way I can get the starter to run. I push the start button and I can feel the solenoid click but the starter doesn't spin at all. Any ideas?

Back