• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Help! Bike died and won't start.

Noremac

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Good day mates! I just bought a 1981 cb750k. I rode it 100 miles last Tuesday with no problems and about 40 on Friday. The last 15 minutes or so of that ride the bike was sputtering a little in the lower gears. Heading home it progressively got worse and died in second gear a couple blocks from my house. I was able to push start it a couple times but it would not stay. After having it on the tender all night, it failed to start the next morning. When the tender is saying the battery is fully charged I'm getting a 6.7v reading with the voltmeter. The guy I bought it off of said he replaced the stator. Also put a new ballistic battery in it.

Disconnect regulator/ rectifier wires then charge the battery and see what the voltage is then. Or remove battery and charge it and see if the voltage rises.

And if it does, rectifier problem? I will check it out ASAP. Could that have damaged the battery capacity? Thanks!

In short words I was just explaining that You have eliminate each component one at a time, With a high capacity battery the bike will run for quite a while on it,s own I don,t think 140 miles. Draining a good battery from a faulty charging system will not ruin a batt. There are other components could be giving You trouble. Stator, Field coil, Rectifier, Regulator, Or just a loose or bad connected wire wires, Thats why I said eliminate the battery first then work from there.

Back