• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Looking for a wiring harness, need help!

shadowmoses42

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wiring harness for my 1980 CB750C. Vintagecb750.com has them but no for my exact model (1980 CB750K and F only). I would think that they should be able to be used for the C model as well, but there is a specific message that says "NOTE: These fit model years and type listed, other years and types of CB750 use a different OEM part number (there is a difference!)."

Does anyone know where I can find my exact harness needed, or know if it's possible that one of these will work for mine. I find it hard to believe I couldn't just use one from a CB750F or K of the same year, especially since my Clymer manual covers all 750 models from 79-82 (leading me to believe most parts are interchangeable).

http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/5/electrical/55/wiring-harnesses-and-charging-system-parts

I forgot to mention, does anyone know what the differences in the harness might be? Maybe I can modify it or just not use one of the wires?

Thanks in advance!

i cannot tell you a thing about what might work stock.
here is a simple diagram for reference as to what is what on there though. you can also rewire your bike to run using this and easily add the lights,horn,etc. click the pic and it will enlarge

DOHCWire.gif

Last edited:
i cannot tell you a thing about what might work stock.
here is a simple diagram for reference as to what is what on there though. you can also rewire your bike to run using this and easily add the lights,horn,etc. click the pic and it will enlarge

View attachment 4132

Thanks! I'm hoping that the original wires work without having to replace them, but I'm not sure if that's safe to do since the bike sat outside for several years. I'm thinking maybe some of the wires corroded. If rewiring is something I can do using this diagram then maybe I'll give it a shot. Trying to finish my bike by August/September so I hope it doesn't take too long.

no harm in trying the stock one,,get some diaelectric grease for the connectors and clean them the best you can. wire corrosion can be a pain in the ass tracking individual wires that change colors from connector to connector. replacing a wire here n there,i would do it outside the main harness instead of cutting it open to remove the old wire. if you do find a aftermarket stock type harness,,it will need some mods to it somewhere. nothing is going to be completely plug n play.

rewiring from scratch looks scary and complicated but really it is not. leave enough lead from all the components to splice to,some of them you can reuse the old connectors and plugs changing them around as needed. it is easier to do two harness,one for the primary and another for the lights,horn,blinkers stuff. you can get by with the one fuse to the ign switch or you can also add to that a fuse for the lights horn blinkers using modern spade type for all of it. anything electrical for marine use is good for a bike,you can also get by easily with automobile type stuff by just weatherproofing it. if it is needed replacement starter solenoids are cheaper now than in the past but you can go even cheaper with that by using lawnmower or the old style ford fenderwell type.

a big plus to all this besides the satisfaction of doing it yourself is that in the future if you have any elec probs you will have a good idea where to start looking.

no harm in trying the stock one,,get some diaelectric grease for the connectors and clean them the best you can. wire corrosion can be a pain in the ass tracking individual wires that change colors from connector to connector. replacing a wire here n there,i would do it outside the main harness instead of cutting it open to remove the old wire. if you do find a aftermarket stock type harness,,it will need some mods to it somewhere. nothing is going to be completely plug n play.

rewiring from scratch looks scary and complicated but really it is not. leave enough lead from all the components to splice to,some of them you can reuse the old connectors and plugs changing them around as needed. it is easier to do two harness,one for the primary and another for the lights,horn,blinkers stuff. you can get by with the one fuse to the ign switch or you can also add to that a fuse for the lights horn blinkers using modern spade type for all of it. anything electrical for marine use is good for a bike,you can also get by easily with automobile type stuff by just weatherproofing it. if it is needed replacement starter solenoids are cheaper now than in the past but you can go even cheaper with that by using lawnmower or the old style ford fenderwell type.

a big plus to all this besides the satisfaction of doing it yourself is that in the future if you have any elec probs you will have a good idea where to start looking.

Very good information, thanks! My brother is handier than I am, but his schedule is more hectic than mine these days, so I'm doing everything myself. It's a great learning experience and a lot of fun, but it's taking a while.

2014-07-12 08.29.00.jpg2014-05-12 15.37.59.jpg2014-07-10 11.01.30.jpgIf you want a basic wire harness like that diagram I do make them up . I do them for XS650 CB750-650-550 KZ550-650-750-900 and other bikes. I do have basic kits that you finish up that have wires for lights-horn-electric start- brake switch- ignition and charging all new 16 gage wires
Basic kits which is just the wires tagged is $55.00 and complete harnesses for street or chop start at $125.00 I have ones that come with small box too.

Back