• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cleaning oil tank while mounted?

Stabler

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I think I've found the problem with my oil pressure. Oil isn't coming out of the oil tank as it should.
Now my biggest issue is, I can't get the oil tank out without removing the motor. And that I just will not do at this point. So my question is, what is the best way to clean out an oil tank while mounted? Ofcourse I've unhooked it from the oil lines and drained it. I'm a bit nervous to go with degreaser since it's an oil tank - but what else is there to do? Gasoline? Boiling water? I've got a bottle brush I'll use as well and som threads to pull through the lines in the bottom, but what chemicals do I use?

Any pointers or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks, Stabler.

I use parts solvent or a paint thinner when cleaning my oil tanks out. They are out of the bike though when I do it. What kind of junk is in the tank? Is it big chunks blocking the oil holes? If there is that much stuff in the tank I would almost be afraid of what went in the oil pump and engine. Maybe block the oil holes in the tank and fill it up with a solvent and let it soak then drain the tank, do it till it comes clean. Can you see in the tank with a flashlight?

Something has partially plugged the feed line hole in the oil tank. When I unhooked the oil tank I got clear oil squirting out of the return line from the motor when I hit the starter. It also sucks strong in the feed line while not hooked to the oil tank.
When unhooked it barely poors out of the feed hole in the oil tank and after a while it just drips..

What solvent do you use dirtdigger?

Around here I can get bulk engine parts cleaning solvent, Its made for cleaning oily parts and such. It doesnt leave any residues behind and will evaporate. Was it a new oil tank or a used one? Kind of scares me to think what is floating around in the tank and making sure you get it out. If its a piece of metal or gasket material or piece of rubber. It does sound like you found the problem for sure though, now just to get it absolutely clean in there.

Just an idea. After you get it flushed out, is there a way to use a clear line and some kind of inline screen/filter temporarily? Just until you're comfortable the problem is gone.

I say screw your fittings back in...dump gas in very carefully via funnel(painted tank) and let it sit for awhile..then drain...then shoot air into the tank..like 100 psi should dry/blow out any contaminants out of your supp/ret line holes...

Back