• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

sprocket thoughts

visorclown

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to cb750's and this forum. I just got a 1981 cb750k. Seems to run pretty good. I took it on the hwy the first day only to realize it runs about 5500 rpm's at 65 mph in 5th gear. What are your thoughts about changing the rear sprocket to reducenter rpm's? Thanks. I look forward to hanging out in the forums.

I am planing to drop my rear sprocket 2-4 teeth and try to use my 5th gear more like an overdrive. Mine now sounds like its gonna blow up at 70mph even though it still has some motor left in it. Would love to get the RPMs down in 5th just a bit. Of course going down in the rear or up in the front will affect your take off meaning it wont be as fast off the start.

Also, going up 1 tooth in the front will be like going down about 2-4 teeth in the rear. Going back to my stunting days of running big rear sprockets to get the super quick take off for doing slow wheelies, when we would go down 2 teeth in the front it was like going up 4-6 in the rear.

Thanks hippie, I don't mind losing a little power to bring the RPM's on the hwy down. I don't want to lose a lot of power tho. What are we talking about here?

Back