• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can't find a piston or caliper anywhere, any tips?

hje_326

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been scouring all over the net trying to find a replacement piston for my front brake but to no avail. I did see one on CB750supply.com and vintagecb750.com but both sites removed them from their inventory. Everywhere else I go says that the part is obsolete but offers no replacement. Please help?

I just looked on Service Honda on there parts lookup and they still list a piston as available. However they list the complete caliper as discontinued. I looked up for a 1972 because thats what my model was. List is $78, I would look on ebay for complete caliper, they are normally pretty cheap. I use Service Honda for all of my OEM Honda parts, they ship fast and have never had to back order anything and there prices are the cheapest I have found. They are online, just look up servicehonda.com.

I've been scouring all over the net trying to find a replacement piston for my front brake but to no avail. I did see one on CB750supply.com and vintagecb750.com but both sites removed them from their inventory. Everywhere else I go says that the part is obsolete but offers no replacement. Please help?

What is the problem with your old piston ?

I should have been more specific. I've been looking for the front brake piston of a 77 CB750 K. The one My buddy took out of the caliper got cut into and chewed up trying to get it out. On a side note, can a caliper for the 750 F be put on the K?

I should have been more specific. I've been looking for the front brake piston of a 77 CB750 K. The one My buddy took out of the caliper got cut into and chewed up trying to get it out. On a side note, can a caliper for the 750 F be put on the K?

Yes it should and maybe next time if you use a grease gun and hook it up to the caliber it usually works or just hook it up to the bike system and keep pumping with short storks, just keep the handle from hitting the grips, about 3/4 in away from grip so it does not bleed back though they will come.

the words i heard was you better start snagging all the calipers you can get, there arent any left anywhere.

Yes it should and maybe next time if you use a grease gun and hook it up to the caliber it usually works or just hook it up to the bike system and keep pumping with short storks, just keep the handle from hitting the grips, about 3/4 in away from grip so it does not bleed back though they will come.

The only thing wrong with this is you are introducing petroleum product into a system that can be ruined from oil/grease. The seals and o rings in a brake system are not tolerant of oil and grease and will swell up and fail. If you get petroleum products into the brake system it needs to be clean very thoroughly or you will have issues. I would use compressed air before I would ever use a grease gun.

The only thing wrong with this is you are introducing petroleum product into a system that can be ruined from oil/grease. The seals and o rings in a brake system are not tolerant of oil and grease and will swell up and fail. If you get petroleum products into the brake system it needs to be clean very thoroughly or you will have issues. I would use compressed air before I would ever use a grease gun.

Very true, should have said that, thanks but using air does not always work on a stuck piston, and if you do try air make sure you use a rag around the piston so when/if it comes loose it does not come out and knock you out or worse, and a side note don't use your finger/s to plug the holes. Ouch
go to e-bay and type---1978 honda 750 brake pistonthere is one there now for 23.00

Last edited:
I had this same problem,so I had a machine shop make me a piston out of stainless steel. I took them a used one to go by. it cost a bunch but hey ,when you cant BUY it ,,,you gotta make it!!

I have a ton of 77,78 750 brake parts ,forks,lights etc. If you ever have any other needs!
!

I have one from a 79 CB750F.. Bought two new replacements (EBAY) but found out the PO replaced one of them recently.. the first one was so bad I didn't even bother to look at the second before i ordered pistons and rebuild kits. Let me know if you still need it and I can clean it up and snap some pics.

Back