• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Valve adjustment

raene

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm slowly going through all the maintenance items the previous owner neglected on the car (mismatched spark plugs, maladjusted clutch, burned out bulbs all over, chain not tensioned, cam chain never adjusted, etc) and one of the most major items from my perspective would be a valve adjustment. After doing the former the bike is running WAY better (ye gods that cam chain was waaaay loose!), but it's always been my experience nothing helps get that sewing-machine smoothness from a Honda like a valve adjustment.

Looking at the Clymer manual, seems *extremely* complicated compared to all the passenger-car adjustments I've done, requiring special tools and ordering shims from Honda to get the clearance right.

Anything I should know before tackling this on my '82 CB750 Custom? Words of experience are appreciated, thanks!

I've never done it on a 750 but did a 900. Right or wrong, here's some of what I recall that might be helpful (or not):

1. Don't rotate the engine with any shims removed
2. On my 900, I believe it was #2 exhaust shims that came out the front, not the rear.
3. I found it helpful and easier on some to use a magnet to install and remove shims once loosened with the screwdriver (was a magnet like 1/2" dis. x 3" long on a flexible shaft)
4. I had an Excel program that calculates old vs. new shim size required based on current shim and gap.
5. "The" special tool helps, but apparently isn't necessary... I have the tool and think it was worth the money.
6. It's actually not all that tough or complicated, but can be frustrating sometimes.

Back