• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

another charging question

tjay

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question. I seem to be having some issues with my charging system on my newly acquired 1977 cb750. It doesn't produce enough voltage while running. Here are the facts;

Key off, 12.2v (I understand this is on the lower end, battery seems to be a year or two old)
Key on, 11.3v
Bike on, 10.9v
bike on, rpm 3k, 12.3-12.5v

The bike has a new looking stator, newer ignition, and I just installed a Ricks reg/rectifier. I have searched endlessly through everyones posts about the subject, and will do some more trouble shooting tonight, but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has had similar problems. It seems to be charging, but just not enough. Does anyone have any experience in this kind of scenario? I appreciate any input, thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Have the battery tested, I think you have a dead or dry cell. It shouldn't drop a full volt with just key on if the battery is strong.

Have the battery tested, I think you have a dead or dry cell. It shouldn't drop a full volt with just key on if the battery is strong.

Thats a good idea, I will try that tomorrow. Electrical is the one arena I am ignorant in. Thanks!

Back