• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Engine gaskets

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I will soon, hopefully, be putting my engine topworks back together. I had heard that you should use a thin film of something like Permatex on gaskets that seal fluids (oil, water, etc). Is that true? What about the cylinder-to-crankcase and cylinder-to-head gaskets? Do they go in dry? Other than having a nice clean surface at the gasket interface is there any other prep to be done?

I use spray on Copper coat on the base gasket and head gasket. I have also had good luck with Permatex Hylomar HPF on head gaskets. What ever you use dont use RTV silicone. Are you just using standard paper base gasket and oem headgasket? No other surface prep is needed unless you are using MLS gaskets.

I am using MLS gaskets. The base gasket is a single metal plate and the head gasket is a 3 piece MLS gasket. What special prep does that require? Thanks.

The surfaces of the head and cylinder need to be taken to a machine shop and milled with a certain finish for the MLS gasket or they will not seal. You will be ok with the base gasket but you will need to have the head and cylinder top machined for MLS gasket. Mention it to Ken he knows and take the cylinder to a machine shop and specify MLS gasket finish. I use MLS gaskets on all my new builds.

Good to know. My head just arrived at CycleX on Friday. I will call them and take the cylinder to my local Arnold's Motor. Thanks DD.

You will notice a very fine finish for the MLS gasket. The surfaces also have to be absolutely flat with no nicks for the MLS.

Back