• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My first build!

Slywolf

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone....my name is Anthony and I have a 1980 Honda cb750 Dohc café(ish) build that I thought you might like...first I would like to state I am 16 and this is my second motorcycle.....i got the bike for a whopping $200 running with tags....it was a great deal. the guy that we bought it from had laid it over not on 1 side but both... so the case was a little scratched up but I don't care... the handle bars were bent more than a pretzel but it drove strait so my dad rode it home since I don't have my motorcycle license yet... anyways lets talk about what I'm doing....I have several Yamaha parts bikes to rob bolts and whatnot off of and i live less than a mile from a iron shop...so i got some metal and am going to make a seat pan outta it....its 14 gage but i want it to take a beating... i am doing a military (ish) style café racer with a old farm mechanic twist...(rainstops on the mufflers i plan to build)...the bike has some mileage on it....38k to be specific but she runs like a raped ape....i did 48 in first gear before shifting to second....it took about 3 seconds to go that fast and 13 seconds to slow down...lol anyway im going to post some pics hopefully tonight....hope y'all like it! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 0610141128.jpg
    0610141128.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 164
More pictures with more progress... I shined up the side cases but the pictures don't show it to well :banghead:....hope y'all like it!:popcorn:

Attachments

• 100_3411.jpg
    100_3411.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_3410.jpg
    100_3410.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_3412.jpg
    100_3412.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_3414.jpg
    100_3414.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 150
Nice buy for 2 bills, But You might want to buy a spare engine running a stock engine with 38k that hard, Good luck with the build.

just an update I have my metal for the café seat pan but I have to weld it....wish the torch set was working.....thought I would also say I think the motor has been rebuilt because I see slight wear on some of the bolts on the top end but I don't think the trans has been rebuilt due to the lovely hum in second but I think she will run for a long time. she has a ton of power for as old and un-tuned she is....im scared to take the carbs off to clean them because of the horror story my dad had with his...im also looking for mufflers that aren't expensive...not going to build mufflers sadly...will post pictures of the seat when I get it welded up...by the way dan I would buy a spare motor but I don't have the money....if she breaks ill just rebuild it....I have the tools to do so....I rather rebuild and have a #matching block...o btw it was originally grey with pinstrips....hope y'all like the build :D share it with your friends :thumbsup:

I did not mean to sound sarcastic to Ya, Hell I ran anything that had an engine in it to the limits when I was Your age:D Again good luck with the build.

kudos to ya man,,keep on keeping on. i do not see many youngins with any ambition to wrench on their rides anymore.it seems that most just want instant gratification and do not understand the concept of a learning curve being directly proportionate to how much you work on it.

if all four of the carbs are hitting,,dont take them off. just leave them be,maybe run some seafoam thru them or something. yamaha used to have some really good carb clean in a brown bottle you mix one part to three parts gasoline. i have poured a bit into a tank of gas and had pretty good results,used some on a lead wing once that had been sitting for twenty five years to free frozen carbs without removing them from the bike. if intrested i will see if i still have a old bottle for a part number. try to avoid changfing the air cleaner to pods those carbs are finiky to say the least. on the ign side if the ignitors{the small elec.boxes under the battery box} go out i have heard of using older gm ign modules for replacements and if you decide to rewire,simplified diagrams are available. enjoy the journey:thumbsup:

thank losttravlyr....I was a gearhead at a young age...I helped my dad build his 70 chevelle street car when I was younger...and now I have my own street car build with my 68 el camino ss that I plan to twin turbo....the Honda is a bike I plan to use as a daily rider for short trips...I have an economy car for long trips or going to the store....btw I painted the military star on the tank yesterday but my new handlebars make the throttle cables hang low and my forks turn to far on the right so I scratched the d*mn tank....I had a "sh!t happens" moment, I also plan to weld the café seat soon and paint/mount it when it stops raining....dam humboldt county and your weird weather.....it was 83 yesterday and raining today....wanted to ride the bike today to:( but it gives me time to look for more parts...I want to go to a disc brake in the rear because I don't like how aggressive the front are and my rear don't grab very well....could be pads but I rather disc I want to stop a little faster with the rear....hope I can find a good job to pay for all this and have some money saved for my hotrod....its 4k for the first part for my motor....dang fuel injection is gotdang expansive....but turbo's like there fuel....I plan to try to hit 680ish hp with ruffly 660ish or more ftlbs of torque but the more the marrier:thumbsup:...thank for the support for the build...post some pics of your bike....it might give me some more ideas:wink2:....hope y'all like it:smoke:

Last edited:
well no pictures but I did some more work Finally on the bike And I Got the full idea on what I will be doing. Its a mix of a café racer meets Mad Max and a Splash of dirt tracker so I will be trying to mount the big @$$ battery somewhere else and do a mono shock with dirt bike-ish spring-rate for a soft ride and some semi aggressive duel-sport tires so it don't look out of place....the fender is the main thing I cant figure out...I don't know if I want to grab the 1 off the 175 Yamaha bolts bike or what but it is going to be a military style green with a rusty patina to make it match the rust on the frame...lol anyway I'll try to get pictures of it all :thumbsup: and hope to get more feedback :cheers:

Back