• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Just bought 1st Bike!! 1980 CB750c !!

johnnyprojekt

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was so glad to find a forum dedicated to the CB750! I am 33 and just purchased my first motorcycle. Its a 1980 Honda CB750 Custom. It is in deecent condition but could use some TLC. I'd like to start modding it to a street figher / cafe racer style bike ASAP! First tho, I need to get it running properly. When I took it for a test drive at red lights even after bike was warm it was idling at 3.5-4k rpms? Any ideas on how to go about fixing? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but am coming from the car world and don't know much about bikes. I was thinking of starting by cleaning all the carbs. I'm not sure on how to adjust a 4 carb setup....any tips/tricks/how-to's would be fantastic!

Any help/direction on finding parts for the following modifications would be very much appreciated:

- low profile rear brake light and turn signals and assembly
- low profile front turn signals
- lower profile handle bars
- 4-1 exhaust (I hear the MAC system is good and allows service access points)
- lower profile mirrors

These are the first set of modifications I'd like to start with. I'll keep a journal and share with the forum.
Here is a picture of how the bike sits now. Cheers!!
Powerpig.jpg

Check for cracks in the carb boots first off. Check to make sure the choke is coming off all the way as it has a built in fast idle, also check to make sure the cables aren't hanging up. Have you just tried to turn the idle screw down to see if it works? The first thing you will find out about this era of Honda is the carbs are terrible...they didnt run great from the factory. Hopefully you just have a simple vacuum leak or can make a simple adjustment.

Good news! I played with idle adjust screw and she is idling just fine now : )
I also picked up some low pro bars (black), new mirrors, MAC 4-1 exhaust, carb rebuild kits and a buch of other goodies. Pictures to follow!! I really want to find some nice smaller profile turn signals and brake light. Anyone know some good sites to buy aftermarket for our CB750? Cheers :)

I like it Johnny!
When it comes to smaller turn signal indicators and rear light and so on, the cheapest way to go is on an ebay-safari. You'll find tons of lights, indicators, speedos and whatever you want to put on it. There are some manufacturers that makes damn sweet cafe and chopper parts, but depending on what your taste is, you best google that.

Keep those pictures coming!! That's what generates traffic to your threads. We're all picture craving on this site. :bike:

Back