• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Recommended Tire Size and type '72 750 in MI

Kielg

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After shes been sitting for a few years, I finally have the means and time to get my bike on the road. Not much needed to get her running, just a new ignition switch, clutch cable, and some tlc. Only thing left to get her on the road is some new tires.

My dillema is in choosing which ones. I live in Michigan so I'll need some that can handle dirt roads here and there, as well as some pretty bumpy pavement, and that can handle in the rain too.

Any other Michiganders or people in similar states have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

I haven't ridden them yet, so I don't know how they handle, but I went with Dunlop K70s 3.25-19 Front, 4.00- 18 rear.

20140512_194625_zpsojrjqmgb.jpg

20140524_104338_zps74csblae.jpg

I got them from BikeBandit about a month ago for about $70 each. I just checked bikebandit to verify the size and I see the price shot up. Anyway, I've always had good luck with Dunlops. They are period correct for my 75 CB750 K. And I live on a dirt road too and the tread pattern looks good for that.

Looking on multiple sites, at a rear tire. Should be 110/90-18 but on, for instance, bike bandit or j&p cycles its saying that size won't fit a '72 and suggested something ending in a -16 but that cant possibly be right, right? The whole tire conversion thing is confusing but I know the rear is definitely 18 inches.

I guess I just cant trust the sites info because the Dunlop k70s on j&p are the same size as the bike bandit ones and it still says they won't fit, but obviously you got them on yours.

I haven't ridden them yet, so I don't know how they handle, but I went with Dunlop K70s 3.25-19 Front, 4.00- 18 rear.

20140512_194625_zpsojrjqmgb.jpg

20140524_104338_zps74csblae.jpg

I got them from BikeBandit about a month ago for about $70 each. I just checked bikebandit to verify the size and I see the price shot up. Anyway, I've always had good luck with Dunlops. They are period correct for my 75 CB750 K. And I live on a dirt road too and the tread pattern looks good for that.

Grepper, did those have tubes? If so did you have any trouble mounting them? I ask because I've read that even though it's possible to mount tubeless tires on a rim that needs tubes, it can make for a pretty tight fit.

Grepper, did those have tubes? If so did you have any trouble mounting them? I ask because I've read that even though it's possible to mount tubeless tires on a rim that needs tubes, it can make for a pretty tight fit.

Yes, They have tubes, I believe 99% of all spoke wheels have tubes, otherwise the spoke nipples would have to be sealed some how. I've heard there is a way to do it, just done't know the details. I'm no expert, but what I've read about tube vs. tubeless tires is the lip where the tire meets the rim is a little different. Tubeless need an air tight seal. I believe you can mount tubeless tires, put a tube in there and mount them on these rims. Again, I'm no expert.

I've tried mounting tires myself. There's lots of youtube videos on how to do it with minimal tools. It looks easy, but I just failed. I tried it three times, twice I pinched the tube, and the third I tared the tube at the stem. Yeah, I'm persistent, but after trashing 3 tubes at $15 each I took my wheels, tires and tubes down to a local bike repair place. The guy had a nice mounting stand, proper spoons and tools. Took him about 5 minutes per wheel and charged me $10 each. I balanced them myself at home.

I do most everything myself, except paint or powder coat and mounting tires. And a couple of times I've sent my carbs out to be rebuilt.

Back