• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1997 CB750 Nighthawk-Poor Gas Mileage

shutter

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 97 nighthawk cb750 last week, with 40k on it(well, says 40k, but the speedo/odo wasnt working when I got it, so who knows...). Anyway, the bike seems to run great, but for some reason I am not getting the MPG that I think I should be getting.

Right now, on the freeway I am getting about 33-34mpg.

Not horrible, but I've seen plenty of people claiming to get 40-50mpg. Since I got the bike, I've fixed the speedo(the wire was broken up by the front wheel hub), changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs.
I travel 200 miles per day, about 190 of it on the freeway. My speed ranges from 65-75mph, occasionally 80. I weight 150lbs. Air pressure in both tires is 33 cold.
As a test, I filled up the tank, and got back on the freeway, and kept my speed between 58-65mph, and went 70 miles, and filled up as soon as I got off the freeway. I was able to squeak out 40mpg...But once again, I've seen people say they beat on the bike and still get 40+, and I was riding gingerly getting 40 at best.

The bike does not leak gas when sitting(holds a full tank overnight) and otherwise seems to run well. When on the freeway, I keep a constant speed.

I will be replacing the air filter very soon.(could this effect the mileage that much? Its dirty, but it didnt seem too excessive...)

Any ideas about why my mileage is(seemingly) bad?

Later today I will try out revving the engine when at idle to see if fuel is maybe leaking out when I'm on the gas...If I don't see anything like that I'll try and rig up my gopro, so I can see the carbs while I'm actually riding.

Otherwise, I'm kinda stumped on where the gas is going...

Also, when I had the tank off while replacing the plugs, I had maybe 1/4-1/2 gallon of gas in the tank. However, the bike ran out of gas on the was to the gas station from my house(.5 miles haha) and would not start(I tried having gas "on" and on "res") until I filled up. I could hear gas in the tank, but for some reason it wasnt making it into the carbs...any ideas? I know it wont necessarily go bone dry, but I could clearly tell there was enough to slosh back and forth.

Did you check your enrichment screws on your carbs? It could be set too rich, it sounds slight but it could be worth checking. My carbs are giving me all kinds of trouble. I have the same year as you and mine is running unbelievably rich and its got me completely stumped. Yours sounds like it could be simple enough as just adjusting the mixture.

mkfOnhqtSb_JI8P7XOJ_78Q.jpg

The bar that is running right beneath the butterfly valves. Right behind that are the screws. You'll probably have to take your carbs off to adjust them but there is one on each carb. The manual says that stock setting is backed out 2 5/8 turn, so tighten them down all the way and then back them off 2 5/8 turns. You can do it with just a flat head.

I also found something interesting while looking at the pilot screw adjustments/enrichment screws...carb 1 has just the screw, carb 2 still has a cap on it, carb 4 is just the screw, but carb 3? It looks like it was broken off or something...
Carb 4 looks like this(same as 1 and 2)
Carb-4.JPG

But, carb 3 is like this...like something was broken off/a random screw was put in there.
Carb-3-weird.JPG

carb-3-damage.JPG

carb-3-broken.JPG

I know pictures arent the best, but its the best I can do until I pull the carbs.

Back