• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil pump not holding oil

bitsa750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
The oil level on my K2 tank falls off the dipstick within 2-3 hours of engine shut down. When I installed the oil pump at the last engine re-build I checked that the oil shutoff valve in the oil pump was seating o.k. [I couldn't suck any air past it by mouth]. The oil tank held it's level at first when I started running in, but now it won't. I don't like it because it now takes more than 5 seconds for oil light to go out because the oil pump has to bring oil up to tank before it can build pressure. Can the oil drain through the pump without going through the shutoff valve?

The check valve isn't holding, either the rubber has deteriorated or there is a piece of something holding it open. If your tank is completely empty you need to drain the pan and put it back into the tank before starting. More damage will be done by starting it with a dry tank. Only option is to look for a different oil pump as the parts are no longer made. There is a guy on SOHC4.net (Elan)in the forums that has spent the money to have the rubber stopper valve made and is offering kits but you have to contact him through the forum over there to order them. I have bought one from him and they are good quality.

Back