• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can I powder coat my cylinders?

TZChris

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am tearing down my new 79 CB750, going for a cafe style rebuild. I would like to powder coat the entire engine (I have a buddy with shop who will give me a deal) Will I have any issues powder coating the cyls? Someone told me they may warp when curing the powder? (400 deg oven)

Thanks, Chris

powder coat the entire engine ?

Don't think that's a good idea, there are rubber seals that could melt. You'll end up sealing everything together making it a bitch to rebuild later. Powder coat wont stand up to the temps near the exhaust... there are a lot of reasons. I've heard of guys powder coating some covers before that don't reach high temps.

Then there is a whole debate on what your doing, hampering the cooling of the engine, those fins need to breath free and powder coat would insulate them.

Now ceramic coating is an entirely different matter.

This is just my opinion, I have never tried it. Just sounds like a bad idea on so many levels.

powder coat the entire engine ?

Don't think that's a good idea, there are rubber seals that could melt. You'll end up sealing everything together making it a bitch to rebuild later. Powder coat wont stand up to the temps near the exhaust... there are a lot of reasons. I've heard of guys powder coating some covers before that don't reach high temps.

Then there is a whole debate on what your doing, hampering the cooling of the engine, those fins need to breath free and powder coat would insulate them.

Now ceramic coating is an entirely different matter.

This is just my opinion, I have never tried it. Just sounds like a bad idea on so many levels.

Thanks for the help. I will be tearing it down completely so no seals, gaskets or rubber will be in the curing oven. I just figured while it was torn down its a good time to paint.

Back