• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Is this CB750 worth $500?

wreckinball

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I Found a CB750 and the guys wants $500 for it. It looks in decent shape but it is missing a few things, the biggest problem is the engine is frozen. He said it was fine before he put it into storage several years ago. So I am thinking moisture in the air got in through the carbs and froze the engine up? Any way what are your thoughts about it? Iy would be my first motorcycle and my first restoration project.

Attachments

• 00606_fauGUZfPxRF_600x450.jpg
    00606_fauGUZfPxRF_600x450.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 00606_akqVnppMUoH_600x450.jpg
    00606_akqVnppMUoH_600x450.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 00O0O_lWctWsDvhD3_600x450.jpg
    00O0O_lWctWsDvhD3_600x450.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 99
As a first bike, I wouldn't recommend a non running frozen engine bike unless your very mechanically inclined.
But, if you are that brave, it appears to be a good deal. A lot of bikes that freeze up from sitting too lang can be easily freed up by just squirting penetrating oil in the spark plug holes and letting it sit, then every day for a week, try to get it to turn over and squirting more oil in. These old engines are pretty tough.

Yeah Iv been tearing things apart since i was 7 years old so I am fine with that aspect i just wanted to find out if i was getting an ok deal or not. I also wanted a project and i like the older styled bikes vs the new ones and i cant find a running cb750 for less than 1,500 and i simply dont have that amount of change lying around. So i figured i could buy this and restore it piece by piece and hopefully in the end have a nice bike.

I did the same thing and bought one for $700. Just finished tearing down the engine and found the cam shaft split, tensioner bracket torn from the case, journals demolished. It was an ugly and sad sight. Be wary, as I was not. I don't regret the purchase since I was willing to risk it and still learned a lot with the disassembly. Best of luck!

I just bought a 82 cb750 sc that does run badly but it runs for $350 I went through the carbs and now it is running better not right yet but lots better the first thing I did was to take the vetter windjammer off the bike and rigged up the front to street legal now I am just trying to get the carb straightened out then clean and fix up to my spec the way I think it should be lol

Possible engine problems aside, the other parts on that bike are worth more than $500.
Tank, exhaust, carbs, and the wheels alone would fetch that much, at least here in over priced California.
Have you looked inside the tank to see if it is rusted out?
grepper is right, many engines can be freed up by applying copious amounts of PB penetrating catalyst "Fabulous Blaster"
and allowed to sit for awhile. Use the kick though and not a socket on the rotor.
With the engine frozen the rotor can't take the kind of torque needed to un-freeze it and could bend.
It doesn't look to be too much of a rust bucket, could easily clean up. If it was next door to me I would buy it.
Good luck if you do decide to buy it.

I'd buy it for $500, as mentioned you could part it out for much more. Looks cleaner than my $500 CB750K8, but mine wasn't frozen up.

Having been cruising ebay looking for parts I can tell you that the seats in good shape (which it looks like that is), with the strap are going for $250 + and original pipes are going for good $ too. I'd grab it for $500.

Back